Medium Format for landscape photography

erik_barnes2

I recently posted a question in "casual conversation" with my topic medium format vs. digital and I just wanted to

get the advice of some medium format users. I first started out using the Nikon D-50 6.1 meg. digital and recently

moved to the Nikon 10.2 meg. digital camera and I have to say the image quality was much better possibly because

of the better image sensor. But they don't allow me to enlarge them to the larger sizes (ex. 32X48) I will want without

using an enlarging program to add pixels but that is very time consuming. I would like to one day approach a gallery

to display my images. I will soon be able to afford the cost of a Hasselblad H-series digital camera. Is the 35mm

digital technology as far as image quality in your opinion getting close to that of medium format? Or is it just

preference? I shoot landscapes if that makes a difference. Thank you for your time and I value all of your opinions

on this topic.

Regards, Erik Barnes

A 35 mm based DSLR is no competition for good MF based digital systems like the H series from Hasselblad.

This also follows from the price difference. Who would pay 3-5 times the price for a 35 mm based DSLR to get about the same IQ.

MF will not only allow much larger prints but will deliver a completely different image.

More 3D so to speak. Forget about pixel count that is not where the difference comes from.

Keep in mind MF digital with the latest software will also need faster computer hardware with more powerfull Graphic Cards.

Quality scans from MF film may be a good step in the right direction.

Thanks Paul, that is something I'll keep in mind. I guess I've been spoiled using digital and I love the instant feedback I get using digital. I'm going to seriously think about going to MF film as an option. I am an over-the-road truck driver and work from my lap top so going to the more expensive Hasselblad H-series digital might not be the best option for me right now. I'm torn.

Regards, Erik

I have to side with Steve on this one - comparing costs especially. If you have the cash, consider getting a film camera that can accept digital backs. This will allow you to get a feel for the capabilities of a new system before you drop all the cash for the digital side of things, and if you like what you get, you just have to add the digital back, computer, software, etc. rather than replacing the entire system.

- Randy

Rent a Canon 1Ds3 for a week, 35L prime and shoot 10Gb. Draw your own conclusions.

I've been a large format hobbyist for years (make my living from digital wedding commercial and landscape prints). There is no better quality megapixels around than from the Canon 1Ds3 - there may be more megapixels - my P45 back is outstanding. But if your goal is to shoot landscapes, prove to yourself that the Canon + lenses available won't do the job for you.

If you someday want to approach a gallery, why not get into large format (4 by 5) with a field or view camera? The cost of the camera and lens should be much less than a Hassy digital, and an epson or microtek scanner will only set you back about $750. For the images that you may want to provide to a gallery, you could have those drum-scanned by a pro lab. And just as important, the view or field camera will allow you to control perspective.

Thank you everyone for your insight on this subject. It has been very helpful. You will have to parden my ignorance on my lack of knowledge with medium format. Because I shoot landscapes, what are the significant differences between the Mamiya 645 AFII with the ZD back which is 6X4.5 format compared to say the Mamiya RZ67 Pro II? Is one format more accecpted than the other in galleries or is one better suited for landscape work? I'm leaning more towards a medium format system that will allow a digital back which Randall had mentioned earlier because I really like the instant feedback I get with the digital system. Thanks again.

Regards, Erik Barnes

"I shoot landscapes if that makes a difference."

It kinda does. Before dropping the wad of cash on MF digital, look into digital compositing. If your subject

matter can stay still for the 2 or 5 minutes needed to shoot the multiple frames, this is the best way to go for

those under a budget constraint.

I use the open source Hugin - just Google for it. I've done test shots that ended up weighing in around 200MP.

More reasonably, a 4x2 composite from a 10MP DSLR will give around 60MP and takes maybe 1 minute to shoot. This

is from the equipment you already have.

I posted a couple of hand held composites. One of them is around 20MP from a $100 Canon P&S; it produced a

noiseless and highly detailed 16x20 print. Take a look at this link: http://www.photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00M6Jx

MF film is viable as well. Generally, I use a couple of RB67 bodies. The camera equipment itself is now almost

free, but you need to spend another $2.5K for a Nikon CS9000 scanner. A cheap flatbed scanner can work too, but

just know that you're leaving behind much image information on the film. My $130 Epson flatbed and a frame of

6x7 is good for ~20MP - excellent 8x10's and very good 16x20 prints.

Hi Christopher, You have a valid point. At this point I shoot with Nikon so switching over entirely to Canon I think would be to costly. I have aprrox. $8,000 in Nikon equipment now. I've always been intrigued with the quality of medium format. I guess either way, I'll be forking out the bucks. LOL. I'm thinking about switiching over to Mamiya's 645 with ZD back. Cost- $9,000. I will have the option of film back or the new digital back. Lenses are reasonably priced with somewhat of a good selection to choose from. By the way, I checked out your web site. Very impressive. You have a great eye for wedding photography. I love the bridal shots you've done. The kind of pro shots you would see in a top rated bridal magazine. Very nice. I tried wedding photography but found it to nerve racking. I found that shooting weddings wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Shooting landscape is more up my alley. I wish you continued success with your wedding photography and thank you for your helpful insight. Take care.

Regards, Erik Barnes

Erik, consider the advice from Robert Lee. With a quality Nikon digital camera, you can use your existing lenses, take

multiple shots of a landscape, and stitch these together with appropriate software (I just use CS3). I was visiting Art

Wolfe's gallery in Seattle a few months ago and got to talk with Art. This multiple-shot plus stitching is exactly how he is

making many of his very large, exquisitely detailed shots these days. While he's using a 1DsMk3, I know a D3, D300, or

the new D700 would work equally well. The downside is that it requires more time on the computer, but the upside is that

it's a whole lot less expensive than a new system, especially a MF digital system.

Hi Erik,

Check out the Mamiya 7. It's a 6x7 rangefinder that is light weight and great for traveling. I drive a lot, and always keep one ready to go in the passenger seat. With bulkier set ups, such as 4x5s, you might tend to miss shots while you're setting up. If you're shooting while transporting, I know you don't have a lot of time to mess around. You can then mail the film to a quality lab (check out carlsdarkroom.com), and it'll be waiting for you when you get home. With a good scan, you can print 6x7 to 32x48 no problem. I just did a job with the Mamiya 7 that required 5 feet width, and it turned out great. The new D700 looks wonderful and is on my list, but will only print to about 14x19 at 300 dpi.

Hey guys, Yes those are two very good ideas. I would love for Nikon to come out with the megs. that Canon's 1Ds MrkIII has. I had thought of switching over to it but I have so much money invested right now in Nikon that it would be totally insane to switch now. I think I wont buy just yet and wait a little bit to see what Nikon comes out with. Steve, I'd thought about the Mamiya 7 as well but again I'm faced with the delima film or instant feedback and I have to say that I love the instant feedback I get from digital and that for me is why I will probably stay digital weather it's staying with Nikon or moving up to Mamiya's 645ZD or the RZ67 w/ a digital back. Thanks again for your ideas. Take care.

Regards, Erik