Maximum Focal Length on a Hugo Meyer Rangefinder

_ft2__8_fffg

<p>I have been using a 4x5 converted Polaroid 110b and Technika III camera in tandem for a few years, but have found that the Tech III is redundant as a Rangefinder camera, and really only useful in ground glass-focusing mode (shifting, tiltig, composing on the ground glass, etc, where the range-finder is really a minor point). The 110b is superior for speed and agility on a tripod. </p>

<p>Recently, I also acquired the 360mm Tele-Arton, which I've been excited to use in a faster format with the Rangefinder on the Technika III, but having the scales and cams made is cost prohibitive, and I know I could sell the III and upgrade to the V for the cost of having this done. I intend to use the Arton for portraits on a Tripod at about 1 meter away, and also for more serious scenes. The range-finder would need to be accurate at 1 meter, focused on the eyes. <br /><br />I've considered selling the Tech III and either upgrading to a Tech V, or downgrading to an available Tech II (converted to 4x5 international). The Tech II has a Hugo Meyer Rangefinder, which may make the switch feasible, as I would have the Rangefinder adjusted for the 360mm lens only, as it is most important there. <br /><br />There are a few issues with this: can the Tech II accomidate the HUGE Copal 3 of the Arton (my Tech III has problems with it), allow accurate rangefinder focusing, and will it allow use of the 75mm SW Nikkor? Extensive modification sort of will ruin any sort of savings.<br>

To upgrade to the Tech V, I would sell my Mamiya Super 23 system (which has the rare Graflok back, Horseman holders, and the 50mm f6.3). The 50mm F6.3 makes me hesitate, but I feel the 75mm will compensate well enough.</p>

<p>Erwin Puts has previously published on this topic in the context of Leica, but it should be portable to other formats.<br>

Some references:<br>

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/7314-rangefinder-accuracy-charts/<br>

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/171132-rangefinder-focussing-accuracy-rule-of-thumb/<br>

See Appendix E of his Leica Lens Compendium:<br>

http://www.furnfeather.net/books/pdf/llcforweb.pdf</p>

<p>Hugo Meyer Rangefinders were made for <strong>one </strong>focal length only. They will adjust for the production focal length variation for that focal length. There is a code on the base side of the rangefinder for the focal length it is for. The rangefinder has to be removed from the camera to see the code. 4C is for 135mm. A 4C Hugo Meyer will just adjust for a 127mm focal length lens that measures 127mm to 130mm.<br>

I do not know how many focal lengths they were made for but I assume 5 to 6 for the common focal lengths used in press/ commercial photography of the day.</p>

<p>Adjustment procedure: http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6319</p>

<p>A Technika is not a Leica. Large format is not 35mm. The rangefinder base on the Tech III, IV, V and Master is huge and built to deal with 360mm lenses with a fair degree of accuracy.<br /><br /> These cameras are meant to be used on a tripod, and the rangefinders are more of a double check to achieve focus quickly, fine tune on the ground glass, and then go. It's the difference between fiddling around for several minutes on a dim screen while the scene and subject change, or locking in and getting the shot relatively quickly. This is primarily for images requiring great detail rather than a "decisive moment" sort of look. Even the Polaroid 110b conversion I primarily use on a tripod, well stopped down. <br /><br />My research indicates the Hugo Meyer and Kalart cannot handle more than 200mm, but the Technika III rangefinder onward can get pretty good accuracy with 360mm and the correct cam. So no Tech II. However, the issue remains of having to have Tech III cams custom made, which is expensive and time consuming compared to finding standardized Tech V cams. </p>