(a.k.a., I REALLY LIKE THIS CAMERA). I was hoping that the community

of C-series users could help me. Could you perhaps share with me you

experiences using this particular camera, preferably with nature

photography? How well does the bellows movement contribute to macro

photography? Will lugging the C330 around be a problem (I have heard

it has a little bit of weight to it), or will a be able to get by

with a lowepro, etc? Any information regarding the C330 and nature

photography would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any

examples of nature shots you have taken, that would also help.

Thank you for your support as I consider this purchse.

Hello,

C330 (even C220, C22, C33 and C3 !!) were excellent cameras.

When I was young, just before becoming a photographer (I quit now...), I wanted this mamiya.

But a very good deal was offered to me. I bought an old "blad", (sorry "hassy" for you in U.S., "blad" is the nickname in France : ))

a 500C with two silver lenses. So C330 was forgotten !

Just a think, may be you may have some parallax trouble in macro.

It's not a SLR, so with close subjects, you cannot be sure to have it like in the finder.

Anyway it's a good system.

Excuse me for my English, I don't write daily in this language ...

Cheers for France.

Stéphane

The Mamiya TLRs have a good macro capability but you will need to use a paramender to correct for parallax. However, a 35mm SLR is still the best for extreme macro work. They are also good for landscapes that can get by with a moderate wide-angle to moderate telephoto range but once again 35mm is better at the extremes. These are very nice cameras.

It's my impression that most commercially successful nature

shooters don't use Mamiya C series cameras. Isn't 35mm

favored for its portability? I'd be afraid of sticking a tree branch

through the bellows on a C330 while crawling through the forest.

The C series really needs a tripod to work easily.

I do a bit of landscape photography and have owned a Mamiya C220. Here's what I liked about it: The lenses are very sharp; good wide-angle lenses (the 55mm and 65mm) are cheap; composing landscapes on the ground glass is great; and the C220 isn't too heavy.

<p><p>

The big downside to any camera that doesn't have "through-the-lens" viewing is that some filters are hard to use. In particular, polarizers aren't easy to use with a TLR or rangefinder and ND gradient filters are practically impossible. The other thing you might consider is the mental switch that you have to make when you move between a 35mm SLR and a medium format camera. A low-cost SLR like a Mamiya 645E or used Pentax 67 might make a better landscape companion than a TLR.

Neil,<p>

I think it really boils down to what you mean by "nature photography." If "nature photography" means you're going to be out in the woods taking pictures of moving critters and such, the C330 will not help because it's not conducive to taking photos quickly or in rapid succession. However, if you're looking for a camera that gives sharp photos for shots that don't have to be set up in a hurry, the C330 will work fine.<p>

Some tips for using the C330 out in the field:<p>

Polarizers. Someone above (too lazy to hit back button) mentioned that using a polarizer with the C330 is a pain. It can be, but you can also make it easier by adding reference marks to the rim of your polarizer. When you compose your shot, look down and note the position of your reference marks, and just make sure that when you put the filter on the taking lens it's in the same position. It's easy enought to get used to after you've done it once or twice.<p>

Macro. The C330 can be used for macro shots if you have a paramender (or if you carefully mark a 5cm distance on your center column), but it won't be quick or easy. Again, it takes a little getting used to, but once you've got it, you've got it.<p>

Monochromes. I love using the C330 for black and white photography because you can leave all kinds of solid color filters on the taking lens without having to remove them between shots. The TLR format is especially great for shooting IR or near-IR shots (I use my C330f to shoot Ilford SFX with my Hoya R72 all the time).<p>

Lugging it around. The C330 is only heavy if you're used to carrying plastic AF cameras around. My 35mm system is more than 15 years old, so I'm used to the weight. I used to use (still do at times) a Lowepro Orion Trekker backpack to carry my Mamiya system. It holds a C330 with WLF, 55mm lens, 105mm lens, 180mm lens, Minolta Spotmeter F, lens hoods, filters, cable release, film, gray card, DOF tables for my lenses (I made little reference cards), a bottle of water, and lunch (yum).

I don't think I'd want to do much bird photography with the

C330, as there are no really long fast lenses available.

Also, while the bellows allows very close focusing with

short lenses, it's quite limited in its ability to focus close

with the longer lenses that are available on the Mamiya

TLR system. A small to medium sized bird woudn't fill

the frame using a 180mm or 250mm lens at closest focus, if you

could manage to get that close without scaring the bird.

As far as I know, there are no extension tubes available.

A 35mm (or medium format) SLR is much better suited to

birding, I believe.

<p>

The Mamiya TLR excels at landscapes, being one of

the least expensive ways to get something as wide as

a 55mm lens in medium format. While the camera body

is heavy, the lenses don't need focusing

helicoids, so a three-lens setup with body can actually be

lighter and smaller than many 6x6 SLR systems. It's quite

comfortable to carry on a neck strap, and it hangs right

there in perfect shooting position (BTW, the bellows is very

well protected when the focusing standard is all the way in,

which happens to be the way you'd keep it if focused at infinity

with a normal or short lens).

"I'd be afraid of sticking a tree branch through the bellows on a C330 while crawling through the forest."

Spoken like someone who has no experience with these cameras. The bellows is only racked out for close-up work and with some of the long-focus lenses. When I crawl through a forest I always have mine collasped and a lens cap on.

"The C series really needs a tripod to work easily."

Unless you are one of the many wedding photographers who used these cameras in the 1950's -1980's. Leaf shutter TLR's are actually easier to use hand-held than a SLR, no mirror vibrations to worry about.

People appreciate quality and versatility, which is why C330's are so affordable - I was very glad to get rid of mine.

You could use a C330 (or an MF folder) for landscape and 35mm for macro, birds etc...

The type of photography you want to do cries out for an MF SLR, and a LF view camera for the landscapes - but this would not be very portable, luggable or affordable.

I think the main advantage of the C330 is being able to use 120 film at a fairly reasonable cost. I would find the paramender or something similar a must. I shoot mostly 4x5. While the C330 doesn't have as large a negative or the movements of a view camera, it is quick to handle in skilled hands. Of course it works best on a tripod...what camera doesn't? Using a polaroid filter may require an extra step, but is that really a big deal? Placed in a well designed and organized backpack, it shouldn't be cumbersome to carry.

I have a C330 and Canon Eos equipment, i use both for nature photography. The C330 for landscapes and still life setups and the 35mm gear for animals, children and the like. The C330 i always use on a tripod. It is a great camera i bought mine in the UK and it has paid for it's self from the shots i have taken with it and later sold. They are quite cheap to buy and if you don't like it you could re-sell it and get your money back. My point is get the camera and use it if you like it keep it but don't sell of your 35mm gear. Jim.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Mamiya Press-another Mamiya stalwart,

affordable, quality glass and professional build, use hand-held or tripod, 6x9 neg

possible and with the "tinker toy" back on the Standard and Super 23 or a single

extension ring with the Universal AND a ground glass back, close-up work is quite

feasible. Alternating the focusing hood and film back for exposures is not the most

convenient thing in the world but it's doable. Like the Mamiya TLRs-a lot of quality and

design excellance for the bucks. I hope something is writing the history of Mr. Mamiya

in Japan-one of the giants of photo history. Also takes Polaroid back for all the new

pack films Fuji is introducing! GOOD LUCK.

Well, the 330 is good for shooting landscapes, people and other quite large stuff. You can also do macro work on dead objects. Carrying 2 bodys 4 lenses is possible for any healthy tiny person, without spoiling the ability to spot a subject by having only "I'm the poorest mule on earth" in mind.

If you want to picture quite small and moving animals you should ad some Pentacon Six or Pentax 67 with damned long lenses, bellows, macro lenses to your eguipment.

A 35mm setup should be cheaper & faster, but if you are an amateur do what you like.

I really liked my C330 outfit when I was doing press work, it was tough and reliable. I also found it was fast to use provided I stayed within its limitations. For nature photography? I'm not so sure. The longest lens you can get is a 250mm which is more or less equivalent to a 135mm on 35mm, i.e. not very long, and it's a beast to use with the belows racked way out.

The good news is the big negative - all the Eos and Nikon users that used to laugh when I dragged it to a job wore a somewhat different expression when my shots went half page while they got 2 inch doubles, if they were lucky!

I use both a Nikon F100 and a Mamiya C220 for landscapes. Check out

my square mountain composition. After a little practice you can do as

good a job as any camera with a TLR. One definate bonus of the Mamiya

set-up are the leaf sutter lenses and bellows for macro shots. I

sometimes use a paramender but have had great results just guessing.

Of course if I had my druthers I'd own something more modern with

built in metering. But more imnportant is to go out and find the

sweet l