making prints from a video

You have to have a video editing software. Then you can drop the .vob file on the timeline and save a shot. But you will propbably have to de-interlace the still so it looks smoother. But keep in mind that the sensor on a video camera is a lot smaller, so you're not going to get a perfect shot.

You need to read information on editing software and programs that play DVD's on a computer, to see if they will let you let you make still prints. This process is also called capturing stills. It would be impossible to tell you how each program does it.

For stills from a video you took on your camcorder, you will have to(I think) use a software editing program that will export stills.

If you have already put you video on to a DVD then you can use a DVD software playing program that will capture stills. I know that some of CyberLink's programs will let you do this, but not all of them.

As for as I know, there are no DVD Players or Recorders sold at stores that will let you save a frame (picture) to a type of photo file to print it.

There are so many, many ways of doing this that I would have to write a book to tell you all of them, but it is fairly easy to do. You may not be to happy with the picture though. Some I have done turn out good enough for an 8 X 10 print and others not so good. None even close that I would use in a portfolio.

P.S. the 8 X 10 came from Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 $799.00 with a lot of work. It was for my own use so the quality really wasn't a big issue.

Ray

• 9 years later...
The DPS Perception Video Recorder first shipped in 1995 will produce folders containing each frame of a video clip in the following formats. BMP, IFF, pic, PVR, SGI, TGA and TIF. The BMP and TIF frames can be printed. At 30 frames per second the folders become quite large. A short search on the Web showed several PVR’s for sale at greatly varying prices. The original disk contained drivers for DEC Alpha and Windows NT. It runs well on Win XP Pro but that’s all, folks. Microsoft dropped the ball after that perhaps due to a rather small market for this item. Sad, as it’s capture function is bulletproof. The captured video is not processed by the computer’s operating system but is piped directly to a dedicated PVR hard drive. No dropped frames...EVER!

Most video editing programs provide a tool to export one frame or more to a TIFF, JPEG or other still format. Premier Pro lets you export a still frame from the cursor position into a designated directory. By default, it will export a sequence of still files, 30 or more fps, based on the selected area in the time line. That's a box you might want to uncheck ;) The good news is PP will export square pixels from any timeline.

Standard Definition images are not very good, only 480x720 pixels. HD is 1080x1920, which is a little better than post card quality. With up and coming 4K video, each frame is a 10 MP image.