Making my N55 into an permanent IR camera.

Im wondering about the possibility of adding an IR filter <big>behind</big> yes, you heard me right, behind the

shutter of my N55. I dont care if i screw it all up. I have like five or six of these crappy cameras, i bought

them cheep (1-10 bucks) on ebay. If I ruin one, i will cannibalize it to make another complete. Ill probably use

my no AF one for right now.

So, im not crazy, just slightly insane. Im going to add a IR filter behind the shutter, that way I get to look

through the lens. And, I can use all of my lenses.

So, my question: where can i find a IR filter that is very thin. There is a slot, so i would like a flexible

plastic one that would slide in, but I could figure another way too. Glass is too thick. I think a Cokin A filter

is too thick too. Id really like an optical quality gel. Has anyone ever seen one of these for sale, if so where?

Thanks, Galen

Life Pixel infrared conversion, is a company which specializes in doing IR conversions of digital cameras. A

friend at PN, Ian Cox-Leigh had his Nikon converted by them and reported that he was pleased with the result.

www.lifepixel.com

B&H has gelatin IR filters

<a target="_blank"

href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper(ds)&sq=asc&sortDrop=Brand%3A+A+to+Z&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&ci=5037&shs=&at=Type_Infra+Red&basicSubmit=Submit+Query"

rel="nofollow">here</a>

They're considered optical quality. I'd consider attaching the filter in front of the shutter, behind the

mirror, to lessen the risk of the filter scratching the film.