Major Darkroom Closes in NYC

It's more than that. According to the article, not only is Latent Image closing, but other

darkrooms (like Photographics Unlimited Dial-A-Darkroom) report that business has

"really tanked," and even Jim Megargee, who particupates on photo.net, was quoted

saying that his high-end darkroom business took a digital hit, "and in terms of dollars,

it has cut in pretty heavily."

Same story here in London. The colour rental darkroom I use has become very quiet

over the last 18 months. Some photographers are still shooting neg but then

scanning on the

Imacon. Others are switching to digital.

As the article mentions, these hire darkrooms functioned not only as sites to

complete your work, but also as meeting places where you could consult your peers,

look at new approaches, and forge friendships.

They will be sadly missed.

Well, as digital takes over, prices of used darkroom gear drops, those of us who don't do digital can afford to have what the rentals have. Those who shoot color...well...everybody tells me that I'm the last person in the world who knows what an Ilfochrome is. Hell, I know some pros who are surprised that they still make the chemistry.

Yes, the whole digital thing is an issue. When I had my lab in San Francisco, before and during the "digital revolution" I did see business drop off about 40% for about 6 months. Mostly in doing portfolio printing, but not so much in the advertising and museum/gallery side. Then all those photog's who tried digital came back. Why? Because they realized that their images and presentation looked like everyone else's. Things didn't have that "specialness" or "uniqueness" that I had worked with them on to achieve. Then biz went right back up, and even grew, to where it was before. The thing I find about digital, especially in B&W, is that it still doesn't come close to doing it the old way, and people who really care about the resulting quality can see that. Luckily there are enough out there who feel that way that I can survive. Of course I won't get rich doing it, but I can make a living.

Someone above mentioned the fact that people want instant gratification. I think that is a big issue, however if one measured the time needed to produce digital images to look like what is available to skilled printers, the cost and time needed is far greater than what is needed and costs to produce it the old way. And that is the market I appeal to and work for.

Digital doesn't always mean better, cheaper or faster.

Just my $.02

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com

Another hit is around the bend in San Francisco. Colorarts is trying to figure out any possible way to stay open but the word is that it isn't going to happen. Such a shame. I printed there for all of my exhibitions that had color work. While I use digital for most of my commercial work, I still can't bear to think of exhibiting or selling digital prints. It's a shame, the exhibiting, traditional artist is loosing out again.

Drew Wiedemann

http://www.eyeshotproductions.com

• 2 weeks later...

>Drew Wiedemann writeson, jul 07, 2004; 01:54 a.m.

>Another hit is around the bend in San Francisco. Colorarts is trying to figure

>out any possible way to stay open but the word is that it isn't going to

>happen.

Well, as the owner of Colorarts for 18 years, my word says this *is* going to

happen. Colorarts has accumulated and assembled the best, professionally

maintained color equipment and facility for all this time, and has served all

facets of the photo and art community. We need to restructure, since digital

has dispalced the commercial photographers who used to support this

venue. We are planning to align ourselves with the myriad arts and

educational organizations that no longer maintain darkroom facilities, as well

as pursue a core group of photographers interested in forming a supportive

cooperative. There is definitely the need for this. What needs to change is

getting the word out, making all the interested parties *aware* of the

immediaste need to reorganize, collaborate, and get moving on this

restructure.

Please spread the word. Tell your friends, inform any non-profits you're in

touch with. Enlist their support, tell them to call Colorarts, tell them to write

small paragraphs on any forum such as this one.There is more than enough

interest within the community. We just need to inform and mobilize.

email me and anyone interested!

• 5 weeks later...