Maine Nature Photo Ops this Summer

chris_alcock

I am traveling to Maine to photograph the Puffins this summer on Machias

Island. I was interested in any advice on other nature photography

opportunities in the area (besides Acadia) while I am there. Any info would be

much appreciated. Thanks!

"Those are all great suggestions if lighthouses are considered nature."

LOL!

Maine is quite beautiful, especially along the coast. And, for some reason most of us (who unashedly claim to be "nature photographers") like to match a lighthouse, some lobster traps, or a boat or buoy or two,... with the wonderfully rugged coastline! Shall we call this "Nature-Plus"? :)

Mary

Click on my name and see the lighthouse. Rachel Carson wildlife refuge in Kennebunk. Marginal Way in Ogunguit for rocks and ducks. You have to do some study and work for wildlife in Maine. There are several trips to Seal Island where the Puffins are most prolific. You need a long lens. Not all trips get you on the island. They are elusive and quick. Route One along the coast from the NH border to Ellsworh and Acadia is heavily traveled in the summer and quite touristy. The internet calls it Machias Seal Island. Machias is a town on the coast between Acadia and Lubeck. It is not an island. Seal Island is a two hour(as I remember) boat ride out in the Atlantic. I am not a fan of short non-informative answer that you sometimes see in response to a sincere question.

I took a trip out of Cutler, Maine to Seal Island. This is a very small, quiet fishing town beyond the tourist routes. I would recommend it as there weren't that many people and when we got there we went out in a small boat to shoot.

Chris, it's a long way from the coast, but we were in Maine last summer, and by far our favorite place was Baxter State Park. If you can make it there, do so. Take the hike to Sandy Stream Pond at the very least and preferably climb South Turner Mtn., for great views of Katahdin.

We also took a boat to view puffins, but it was much farther south (or west, actually) on an island called Eastern Egg Island. My wife will remember the town where we caught the boat. If you are interested in more locations, respond here and I will ask my wife. I plan out the vacations but I forget all the names a few months after I am there. ;-)