Machu Picchu and Galapogos -- Lens choice

stephen_york3

<p>I know this is personal, but it helps to get others ideas. In a month I travel for a week to Machu Picchu and Cusco and then another week in the Galapogos. My thoughts are to take a rangefinder system, because that's what I've known and used for the last 15 years. I have 2 M bodies, a 35mm Summicron asph, and 50mm Summmilux asph, and a 90mm elmarit, all of which I've used extensively over the last 7-8 years.</p>

<p>I've recently picked up a used 21mm elmarit and a 135mm tele-elmar for these trips. To date, I haven't even shot any film through these lenses. Since they were purchased used, I can easily liquidate these lenses w/ no holes in my pocket.<br>

My gut feeling is to keep the camera equipment to a miinimum. Something like an M and a 35 and 90. Weight is an issue, but photography for me is a lot more fun when I folllow the "less is more" mantra." But I also want to have what I need.</p>

<p>Anyway, please wade in with your thoughts. </p>

<p>Stephen, most people seem to want to have long lenses in the Galapagos - you might want to keep the 135mm. 35, 90 and 135mm seems like a good kit. If I was you though I would take all you have got, as the M system is so light and small - unlike the equivalent DSLR kit.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>I second the suggestion of bringing all - but if you absolutely must cut back, including eliminating one body...then first think of the lens that is your most comfortable "standard," and add to this. Think also of your locations...for Machu Picchu I might think of 21mm and 50mm - for the Galapagos I might think 21, 35, 90. </p>

<p>Then again...even if you never use the second body - it takes up so little space and weight that I'd bring it if even for the sole reason of having a backup...but more usefully as a vehicle for having different films handy. Machu Piccu begs for both b+w and color, while perhaps the Galapagos is better served with color - but then again.... </p>

<p>Another tack is bringing two bodies and four lenses (21,35,50,90) and keeping all in a shoulder bag with lenses unmounted - reaching for the appropriate combos as the situations inspire/warrant. This is actually quick in practice - quicker sometimes (than having a camera out with lens mounted) as it eliminates the need for time consuming lens swaps - keeps equipment protected, and is arguably better in terms of helping to ensure that you use the combo which best suits your vision for a given situation. Plus, I find that this approach usually facilitates greater compactness, in that you now have four cylinders and two small block shapes to stow. A final suggestion is that you glue together, back to back, two sets of rear lenscaps - all of the later design, deep enough to accept the rear element of the 21mm. This will allow you to store lens pairs safely in minimal space and no rattling around. The 135mm? Its the largest of the group, and perhaps the most difficult to use with the viewfinder - I'd either leave this at home or pack it in your other luggage (or regular backpack) for possible use. </p>

<p>Oh - Machu Piccu and the Galapagos in one go - I'm quite jealous. Have a great time! </p>

<p>Hi Stephen<br>

I have a 135 T/E too. I haven't used it too much yet but when I have, I found using a cheap viewfinder magnifier to be very handy. <br>

You can pick these up on Ebay for buttons. I think you should consider getting one, especially if your VF's are .72 like mine. I think you will like the 135 on the Galapagos. Maybe you have time to fit in a trip to a zoo and check it out first?<br>

Gadge</p>

<p>I neglected my 135/4 for nearly 20 years and last year before my annual holiday, I got myself a perfect SHOOC finder and love it and have used the 135 much more. I use it for landscape and bird shots at the beach mainly. I didn't take it to NZ recently but fitted in one small A&A bag a 90,50,35,25 and two bodies, table-top tripod and film and hiked all day in the mountains without lamenting the weight at all. I didn't use the 50 once. I would possibly drop the 90 in favour of the 135 for your trip and add back the 50, but the suggestion to take the lot is a good one, especially if you have somewhere secure to leave a couple of lenses behind on a demanding day trip. </p>

<p>You have gotten by for 7-8 years with a 35mm, 50mm and 90mm. That should tell you something very significant. I have not been to the Galapagos. But I have been to Machu Picchu/Cusco, Costa Rica, Cuba, Mississippi, the California coast (all of it), New York, and a number of other places in between. My photo style has never changed en route. I ended up using the same lenses I use at home.<br>

Backup equipment is good, so bring both bodies. But 35-50-90 lenses gives you backup there. Otherwise, light weight is something that is appreciated.<br>

Remember that Garry Winogrand shot a somewhat famous photo of a US Football game. It was shot with his standard 28mm Summicron.</p>