MacBook pro v Imac

Sorry if this is a bit similiar to other posts. I intend to replace the Acer

15.4" laptop I use more or less exclusively for digital management/processing.

I don't currently earn anything significant from photogaraphy so the the new

silver Imac 24" looked a good cost-effective option. However, I now have to

live away form home every week so I will have to use a laptop that I can bring

home at weekends.. I was going off the Imac anyway because of its glossy

screen.

I think my best option is the MacBook Pro 17". I am agnostic about Mac or PC -

is there a comparable PC laptop with a high resolution matt screen I should

look at, e.g. Dell XPS?

If I go with the Mac, is the any reason I shouldn't go for the 1900x1200 non-

reflective screen, rather than the standard 1600x1050, for an extra ?60?

Finally, I know that you can change platforms when you upgrade from CS2 to CS3,

but if you can't load your existing PC CS2 into the Mac, how does it know you

have something to upgrade from?

You should not rule out the MacBook Pro 15" with the LED backlit screen.

Cross platform license transfer is available through Adobe Customer Service. Once they

establish that you own a full version of the product, you fax them a letter of destruction

stating you will destroy the PC version of the software. You pay only for shipping and they

will send you the full Mac version of the Adobe product.

Also, the MBP's support external monitors up to the 30". I would suggest a couple of things.

Get a 7200 rpm drive in it, and check out Apple's refurb store for great savings on MBP's.

Glossy vs. Matte screen is a matter of preference. If you're going to be in bright light, you

might consider the matte screen, but under normal circumstances, the glossy screen is much

more vibrant. (YMMV)

Actually, Nigel, having looked at photos on both the matte and glossy screen MacBooks, I prefer the glossy. Not making this point to argue with you, but rather to suggest that if you haven't yet had an opportunity to look at photos on both Mac screens, you should. You might be in for a surprise.

Glossy, bright screens are not generally wanted for photoshop work. It may make your pictures look pretty, but it may not give you an accurate representation of what the photos really look like. Google something like "lcd screens photography" to get a grasp of the differences/importance of different LCD screens for image editing.

Before getting my MacBookPro I spent considerable time researching glossy vs matte - and

editing with both at the Apple store. Chose glossy and am extremely pleased one year later.

Next display will be glossy as well - far superior, at least for image editing...

That being said, a laptop screen is still not as good as a desktop display. Works OK in a pinch

while on the road in a hotel room or cafe...

www.citysnaps.net

I will never go back to Microsoft windows again. I bought two Macs, an iMac 24 for photo

and a new gloss screen Macbook. Put up the same thing on both in controlled conditions

and you can not tell the glossy from the plastic. I think I may actually prefer the glass

screen. It is a non issue.

I will also tell you photo editing on a notebook of any kind is a bad experience compared to

even an iMac. The screen viewing angle gets you screwed up. Get a desk top unless you

need a portable and can afford only one.

Well thats given me some food for thought. I'll have to do try out glossy v matt in diffrent lighting. I appreciate blacks look deeper on the gloss but I thought that the matt would show gradations in the shadows more accurately.

One more thing, if I went with the Imac, how do you think the hard drive would take to being bundled into a car twice a week. And does the 2.8 Gig processor have any real advantages for photo editing? (4Gig RAM in any case)

Looks like I may have to go with mobile macbook and static 23" cinema external dispalay where I end up doing most work

I use iMac, but I think the MBpro's are probably just about as fast. If you need to move around, I like your idea of MBP glossy or matte - your choice and a 23"ACD, would be nice. What I don't know is if its easy to install ram in a notebook. If it is, than I would suggest going to OWC or crucial, Kingston or Corsair and max it out. Would be a nice flexible kit for you.

On the RAM, easy to upgrade yourself through hatch underneath. In the UK, Apple charge 400 pounds (why can't this forum do a pound sign - my wife works for a US company and a VP there didn't know what a pound sign was - hope she wasn't Finance Director - but I digress...!)for 4GB, Crucial chage 65 pounds - no contest really