Mac Matt Vs. Glossy Screens

I have the new 15" MacBook Pro with a Matt screen and love it. I loked at he glossy version

and while snappier i hated the reflections on it. For Photo application i recommend the Matt

version ( i calibrate with i1 photo, and the laptop screen compared with the Eizo CG 210 is

obviously not on par, but the colors and contrast fall in the same direction). best M

This is not just a glossy screen but a sheet of glass in front of the display. It's highly reflective and not at all suited to pro photo editing imo.

My excperience was it was almost impossible to work with subtle shadow detail and accurate color due to the reflections.

I expect Apple will offer a matt screen version pretty soon, judging by the reaction (unless they have now decided that the iMac's main market is the home enthusiast)

Actually if you are retouching on a reflective screen its very difficult. Try cleaning up a dirty background on a laptop screen where you have very subtle tonal shifts. Its like saying monitor calibration doesn't matter- if you can't see what your working on how is that professional? Of course if you are just making prints at home thats fine but i said professional didn't i?

• 4 weeks later...

hopefully this thread isn't totally dead yet...

i too am agonizing over which screen surface to get for the MacBook Pro (at least until i can save up and also get a Cinema screen for the home office). i am mostly concerned with image quality, sharpness, colour and contrast for editing photographs. any serious photo editing would be done in a controlled environment with minimal ambient light issues, but i keep seeing comments about glossy screens having unreliable colour, too much contrast and that they can't be calibrated accurately. in my snooping around i found this very informative article from a company that actually makes laptop screens:

http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml

(basic premise: matte screens diffuse reflections, but also diffuse/distort the LCD's image; glossy screens are not just reflective glass, but are specially treated and polarized to minimize reflection while allowing undistorted/clear transmission of the LCD image. hence, sharper images, richer colour and truer blacks and whites)

this busted a lot of my preconceptions about glossy screens' problematic reflections and affirmed some of my concerns about matte screens' diffusion/distortion of the image that the LCD screen is generating.

as far as what i know of monitor calibration... isn't the goal to have a monitor that is capable of showing all colours, contrast, detail etc. possible in the original image, but it is the printer profile that shows you the limitations of the output device or media type to which you are printing? (i.e. loading up a printer output proof in Photoshop for inkjet printer X on paper Y) and if this is the case, then wouldn't a glossy monitor that shows more colour saturation and more shadow/highlight detail than a matte monitor be a better starting point for seeing what information is truly stored in your raw images? (kind of like a b&w negative that holds far more information then could ever be printed on photographic paper, but you get to choose which portion of that information you will actually print).

any thoughts on this? obviously i'm leaning towards glossy at the moment.

~mike