M3 Light Leaks

mkochsch

What are the known areas of fault for light leaks in the M3? I

noticed some leaks on a film I shot out at the lake. I'm pretty sure

I left the camera sitting on the dock for a while. I'm guessing the

top right of film door may be the cause since my leaks we on the

bottom left of the photo. Should there be foam gasket at the top of

the door or is the door designed to mechanically seal out the light.

I've no idea, but light leaks are best eliminated by sticking a piece of black tape over the suspected area and seeing what happens on the next roll. If there is evidence of a seal on the door of the camera it should easily be seen when you open it.

Michael, my M6TTl has leaks too... but they're random (both in occurrence and in frames within a roll). Are your leaks showing in the first or last exposures of the roll, throughout the entire thing or randomly?

In my case... I sent the camera to DAG and he couldn't reproduce the leaks. He did change some light baffles (I don't know where) but the problem persisted, especially in very sunny days. Since there seems to be no easy fix, I'm planning on sending mine to Leica, to have it refurbished... some day. Right now, I've exposed about 5 or 6 rolls and only one exposure has shown leaks.

Check where the exposures with leaks are. It may be poor film handling at the lab.

The light leaks on an M6 appear to be "random" because they generally happen during lens changes in bright light. This is predominant with faster films (200 ISO and above). The M3 does not have this tendency. However, you may have a small hole burned in the shutter curtain (or similar issue with the curtain cloth). You may get some collective wisdom by posting a picture showing the problem.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Just some more info: leak occurred mid-roll, factory roll of CN400, I only have one lens so lens change causing the leak is unlikely since I never remove the lens. (I'm careful about leaving it pointed at the sun at infinity also.) There are two vertical pieces of foam gasket (new) on either side of the door "lip". Nothing on top, there doesn't appear to be enough room for anything there. The bottom looks like it could take some gasket but there is none. The camera was completely over-hauled 20 months ago by Kinderman in Toronto. It received brand new shutter curtains (you don't want to know what it cost). I'm going to try taping up the door next time I'm shoot under the sun and see if it helps (a treatment usually reserved for my Holga). My suspicion is the shutters, but that's why I asked what the most probable cause is for leaking on the Leica M3.

Hi Michael,

I had some light leak problems with my M3 that were really elusive. I thought it was from

the door also because of the position of the leak on the film, but it turned out it was one

of the light shields in the front of the camera! (The light path is really complicated and

Gerry Smith told me you could be surprised by the source of the leak.)

I sent it to DAG and he fixed it by replacing the shield. My "tape tests" did not help with

the problem.

Best

Babar

Michael,

What lens are you using with your M3? Does it happen to be a collapsible version (ie:

Collapsible 50 cron)?

If it is... I've heard that there can be leaks through the barrel of the lens when the felt

lining starts to deteriorate. Can't confirm this though... perhaps, someone else will know

more about the problem with these lenses.

Good luck on pinning the problem down...

Cheers

I thought I had light leaking with my M3 as well, but nobody found anything wrong. Then the same problem occured wuth an M4 and an M^, and eventually it turned out to be a lens problem. It only occurs in bright daylight, but I haven't seen it again when I use the hood on the 1960 50mm Summicron, which is not a collapsible one.

Michael,

I can't think of any other reason for the leak then... other than what all the other folks have

stated on this post.

Perhaps, it might be best to send it in to DAG, Sherry, or Leica?

I also have the 50 Hexanon for my RF and have used it on my M6 without any problems

whatsoever. You're right... it's very contrasty and sharp. It's a beautiful piece of glass.

Good luck... hope you resolve this pain-in-the-butt problem soon!

Cheers