Lowepro photo gloves or equivelent

asimrazakhan

I like the Lowepro gloves and they are pretty good for handling gear because of the rubber on the fabric. Keep my hands warm if the temp is not too low.

Comfortable but tight fitting gloves are best for me while handling gear; check out REI or similar sporting goods stores for useful gloves. You may also have luck at Home Depot or Lowes for work gloves.

Good luck.

dG

Other than the rubber, they aren't anything special. But they're pretty good because they got rubber on them :-). My leather gloves, for instance, that are great for most weather wouldn't give me enough control with my camera gear.

allan

REI "All Season Gloves" $28, made out of windstopper fleece and have rubber grip dots on the palm and fingers. I bought a pair for cold weather running and ended up using them all the time. They make great driving gloves. They are very warm for their thickness.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47920030&parent_category_rn=4501422&vcat=REI_SSHP_MENS_CLOTHING_TOC

In Japan, you can get thin cotton driving gloves that have very fine rubbery finish on the bootoms of the fingers and palms. They break the cold, unless it's truly awful, you can load/unload film, set dials, etc. easily. They wash and dry fast and are cheap. They are great driving gloves since that's what they're made for.

I have brought them back for my photographer friends who have been pleased with them.

Conni

I was in colorado during new years, it was cold outside, I bought these gloves from a gas station, it had rubber grips on the fingers and palm. For $7 they were/are a great buy. Local skii store wanted $50 for something similar with a nice label on it.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=56146&hvarDept=600&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=9&hvarSubCode=12&hvarTarget=browse

I use the above in moderately cold weather. When it gets to the teens and below they aren't enough, though. I can manipulate the two main control dials on my Canon without folding back the finger pocket. For finer manipulation, I fold back the finger pocket and brave the cold for a minute. I took them to Yellowstone late last month, and admittedly it was a mild winter (teens and low twenties when I was shooting) but they worked fine for shooting. I had chemical pocket warmers that I never bothered to use.

Ronald makes a good point - I did fine with just the Lowepro gloves in Paris with temperatures around 20F all day long. However, if it had been any colder, I would've thrown on a pair of much heavier gloves on top of them. I'd use the gloves where you can pull back the finger "mitten" area to fully expose the fingers.

I don't generally work in such cold conditions (by choice - I just don't like really cold weather). But I think that would work.

allan

you might try a multi-layered approach. Try very thin, windproof gloves (I have Manzella brand N2S windproof nylon liner gloves, very thin with rubberized fingers, excellent for cycling) with heavier split mittens/fingerless gloves over them.

Lowe makes some decent products but they sort of have diarrhea of the product line. Can't recall the last time I saw LoweAlpine products in a high end outdoors store, though they're frequently counterfeited in the india and southeast asia streets.