Loose zoom on Nikon Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/4.5n AI

john_tanner

<p>the lens is Nikon Zoom-NIKKOR 80-200mm f/4.5n AI<br>

One of the 10 best Nikon lenses "This unassuming tele zoom just happens to be the sharpest tele zoom I have <br /><br />"I've confirmed folklore: this is Nikon's sharpest tele zoom." <br /><br />"All Nikon's 80- 200mm f/4.5 zooms are excellent. I found the best is this AI "n" (new) version, which is recognized by the black rectangular plate on its rear m ount."</p>

<p>but the problem is loose as a goose zoom</p>

<p>the question is</p>

<p>can it be fixed b y Nikon and ho</p>

<p>I've got one too. Can Nikon fix them? I doubt it. They were made quite a number of years ago. Some people have speculated that Nikon made them a little "slippery" from the start, so you could move the zoom and focus quickly. Now, I haven't found a single one that isn't loose. Not that some collector might have a barely used one, somewhere. I've often wondered if there was a cheap home remedy for this.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I bought one on the Bay advertised as a parts lens, it came partly dissmantled with new felt strips in the package. The repair was more complicated than what the seller wanted to fool with hence the $10 price. After looking at this thing for about 2 weeks I realized that the only way to fix it was to dissemble the entire rear half of the lens then I could access the zoom collar to replace the felt strips. Even after replacing the felt the zoom action is still a little loose. I can now see why this repair is so expensive, lots of hours involved. Of course, a skilled experienced repairman would be much quicker in his repair. The lens now works just fine (but loose) and is part of my MF Nikon kit. </p>

<p>As I recall, these lenses had a loose zooming action to begin and further loosened with use. I just checked my pre-AI 80-200mm f4.5 and it is loose. Still, it functions perfectly. I think this action was considered normal back in the day. I don't remember it being an issue with fellow photographers.</p>

<p>Hi John,</p>

<p>I don't know if it is the case with this lens or your F3, but Nikon periodically discontinues servicing or producing parts for older equipment. Places like the repair facility I mentioned earlier and others will fortunately still work on our vintage gear.</p>

<p><a href="http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/238">Call Nikon </a>to find out if the Nikon 80-200mm f4.5 AI lens and your Nikon F3 are still being serviced by them.</p>

<p>Another place I can recommend which might be less expensive:</p>

<dt><strong>Fotocamera Repair Inc.</strong> </dt><dt>3095 South Military Trail, Lake Worth, FL 33463. </dt><dt><strong>Tel</strong> : 561-433-8434. <strong>Fax</strong>: 561-433-8320 </dt><dt>email Pete Smith at <a href="mailto:nikonsmith@aol.com">nikonsmith@aol.com</a> </dt>