Looking for masters of light

pacorosso

I am collecting information about the sources of what we know about

photography, and this week I am interested in "masters of light".

Please. at your consideration �Who and why can be considered masters

of photographic light?

I am not interested in the photographer with a high skill in lighting,

but the photographers who made the trends, that who teached and create

the concepts we use nowadays.

Canon has a page called <a href="http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/explorers/lobby.html"><u>Explorers of Light Gallery</u></a> which may be of interest to you. Some of Ellis's picks above are also good answers. But, I would also include the following as masters of light.......Sebastiao Salgado, Antonin Kratochvil, Diado Moriyama, Ferdinando Scianna, Michael Ackerman, Philip Lorca diCorcia, Christina Garcia Rodero, Shomei Tomatsu, Eikoh Hosoe, Masahisa Fukase, Miguel Rio Branco....and at least a dozen more I can't just pull off the top of my head......Brassai, Paul Strand

O. Winston Link. Every person since who has made photographs of the railway environment at night has studied his monumental work on the Norfolk & Western in the 1950's. I have read that he is the only American photographer to have a major museum devoted entirely to his work (don't know if this is true). Truly a MAster Of Light if there ever was one.

• 2 weeks later...
Names that come to mind. Phillip Charis, Andreas Fieninger, William McIntosh, Yousef Karsh, Hurrell, Lange, Irving Penn, Ansel Adams. These are just some of the people that I consider to have or have had the eye. Each photographer controls the light, the situation in their own way. Their balance, the control of what is in the highlight and how much is able to be seen in the shadow. Their content. Their way of looking at the world and knowing enough about thier field to evoke a reaction from the world. Anyone that was around to experience "Life" magazine photography in its heyday, as well as "National Geographic" was observing journalistic photography in some really impossible locations. Each method shares something and passes its effects on to other artists. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

• 1 year later...