Long Lens Support

petes-photoworld

<p>Calling all Long lens support guru's out there. I am looking to counter the vibration at the front end of the long lens.<br>

<br />I have the old Olympus OM 1000mm F11 lens, which is a big old beast and I am trying to minimise the vibration as much as possible. I currently own the manfrotto 393 long lens bracket plus the manfrotti 359 lens support.</p>

<p>The 359 strut attaches to the camera body so limiting vibration there.<br /><br />The tripod collar sits in the middle section of the lens and so with the 393 there is good support there. The lens end section is long and was wondering if there was a way to support this end by using a rail.<br /><br />I have seen this <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Cust...-YS-QR-Pkg-001">RRS rail</a>. A bit pricey!<br /><br />I have also seen that manfrotto do a similar item, the 293 telephoto lens support, which appears to be a lot cheaper. However, looking at the 293 it may not be good enough. Length of lens is 662mm and this would appear to be too long for the 293 which is only adjustable from 200-295mm.<br /><br />Does any long lens guru out there have a similar length lens and uses a rail or some other set up to support the front part of the lens? </p>

<p>A lot is going to depend on the stiffness of the tripod, including the head and mounting. A single mounting screw or Manfrotto QR plates are not nearly as stiff as an Arca type QR system. Even so, it may be necessary to brace the lens with a second tripod except in still air and solid ground.</p>

<p>One little but significant contributor I've found to tripod jiggle is the padding on the mount. It won't solve the whole problem, but it can help. If at all possible, try eliminating any rubber or cork interface between lens and mounting pad. For my wife's 500/f4 lens I milled the top of a pad flat and added a second set screw, mounting metal to metal. Not a huge "eureka" here, but a little incremental improvement. We are using Manfrotto hex plates, which are pretty easy to work with and even to custom make.</p>

<p>Peter, I vote for a second tripod. You have a long slow lens to deal with and a second pod would probably be best. Alternatively I bought the 359 Manfrotto long lens support years ago and have used it twice. It is not that robust. It's essentially a super clamp with a flimsy extension that screws into the camera tripod mount. It may suit your needs. Good hunting. Andy</p>

<p>Thanks Edward. Doesn't sound like the best and wasnt too sure about the difference in length.</p>

<p>Not sure about another tripod, even more weight to carry around ... I think I need a mule. I have been using my hand so maybe the bean bag is a possibility. Has anyone used the RRS rail and know whether it is any better?</p>