London with kids

machts gut

<p>The end of the month I'm going to spend 4 days in London with my 11year-old daughter. Do you have any suggestions about anything special for kids of this age to do in London. Depending on the weather I thought about the Museum of Natural History, maybe the British Museum, but if the weather turns out to be friendly I would rather spent the day outside than adding another museum (which in general is boring for kids also).</p>

<p>The Science Museum is the one that really puts itself out to be interesting to children. Here is the page for 8-11 year olds but they have suggestions for all ages. When I was a kid the science museum was always the one we liked, very interactive, lots of buttons to press, handles to turn and experiments to try :<br /> http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/agegroups/8_to_11.aspx<br /> The Natural History Museum is also great especially if your daughter likes dinosaurs etc.<br /> The London Eye is a good bet too.<br /> If your daughter likes history then maybe the Tower of London - crown jewels, lots of gory history. Tower Bridge is nearby.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>From19 October there will be the 2012 Wildlife Photographer of the Year Exhibition at the Natural History Museum, so you can combine your interests with your daughter's. The Victoria and Albert Museum, opposite the Natural History Museum, currently has an exhibition on ballgowns. The Penguin Beach at London Zoo is brilliant - my 50-year old wife loved it - and on the way back to Camden Town Underground Station we stopped off at the York and Albany gastro-pub which is part of the Gordon Ramsay empire (go for the (de-constructed) cheescake and try the Camden Pale Ale beer). Try to time your "flight" on the London Eye for when the sun begins to go down so that you can get a daylight view as well as with the lights coming on.</p>

<p>I visited Kew a couple of days ago. The visitors were mostly middle-aged and older but there were a number of school visits with bunches of kids. Main attractions are the Temperate House and the Palm House - two very large greenhouses with plants from all over the world. In addition there is the tropical Lily house and the Skywalk where an elevated walkway allows you to walk 60 feet up among the tree canopies. There is also a land train which takes people round to avoid the exhaustion of walking around the 750 acres. Great if you have an interest in botany or victorian iron glasshouses!</p>

<p>These are all great suggestions. Like Colin, I spent lots of time in the Science Museum when I was a kid as I lived a short walk away. I don't think anyone has mentioned one aspect, though. Some of these museums are very busy. The last time I tried to get into the dinosaur rooms at the Natural History Museum I gave up because of the long queues. The same applies to Madame Tussauds (which I pass sometimes but haven't been in for 60 years!). One thing we do well....we don't charge admission fees!!! Yet.</p>

<p>Covent Garden usually has a number of great buskers performing... the London Eye... my kids had a great time going through the flea markets (camden) and street markets (Portobello Rd)... a canal boat ride... There's more possible. These are also great for you the photographers too!</p>

• 2 years later...