Loading a Kodak Retina lllC

jt991

Its been a very long time since I had a llC, and have just bought a near mint lllC ,but would welcome clarification regarding the handbook loading instructions, specifically about the use of the rapid-wind lever and film release button, viz:: "If you are using a 20-exposure cassette, set to the index mark between No. 20 and 25. Now work the rapid-winding lever and press the film release button (8). Repeat this until the film counter indicates No. 36 or 20 respectively. At the same time the rewind knob (20)…..etc etc"

Presumably this technique is followed with the lens retracted, as the usual "wind & fire" to reach the first frame will only work when the Retina's lens is extended ???

I've never done it that way. You set the exposure counter usually 3 shots more than the number of exposures in the cassette as it locks at 0. I extend the lens, set the counter appropriately, fire off a couple of shots as I do with any camera using the shutter release. The "film-release" (as opposed to shutter release) can be used with the lens folded or extended. It does not fire the shutter, just releases the advance clutch.