Livebooks? Big Folio? FolioLink? Which one?

Hello everyone! I am trying to decide on which of these photo-template

websites to go with. Livebooks is nice, but WAY too expensive for what I want

(cant afford $4000). Honestly, from what I can tell the main difference seems

to be the price as many of the templates are similar in appearance. Folio

Link seems to be the one I am leaning towards...any opinions of that service

would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Patrick

I have a Livebooks site(not the $4000 one though) and I've been really happy with it: www.stacyandmary.com

support is very good- they are helpful and it looks nice. That said though I also have a bigfolio site that is currently being re-vamped, but it was only $250 and is also very nice- you can see just the home page at www.stacyandmaryphotos.com

I should aslo say that their support is very good and after I ordered the site it was ready to start working on within hours...very fast! And you can add a lot more text and links to the bigfolio site...depends on what you're using them for I suppose.

Don't know anything about FolioLink, but good luck :)

Hello- I have LiveBooks site and I love it. I don't know if you are aware that the LiveBooks site's start at $800. I guess it depends on what type of use you are looking for out of your website. Other then referrals my website is my number one source of bringing in business. The big images sell my work before I ever meet with them. I think the thing I liked the most about LiveBooks is the option to customize my site. It keeps my site from looking like a template or anyone elses. Their customer service is unbeatable. I belive that a website is the best investment you can make for your business. I would go LiveBooks all the way. : )

Good Luck!

I also have liveBooks...no complaints as well. I purchased the cheapest one initially, then over the years just purchased various upgrades, additional portfolios, etc. I think that was a good way to go as I didn't have to pay for features I didn't want...and paid for those that I did. Check it out if you want. www.janusjavierphotography.com

Zenfolio is good, and nowhere near even $800. If you're at all computer savvy, get your own web site and JAlbum. JAlbum is free, and there are many skins you can download to use with it (if you don't like the skins that come with it). Some of the skins are free, some cost. I use one called FotoPlayer.

MODERATOR NOTE: Website removed. Users my have their websites on their community page on photo.net only. If you are referencing your site for people to see because it is relevant to the thread.. Simply suggest they click on your name for site/contact information.

I have been using Foliolink since they started and have been extremely happy with their service. I would go with them - hands down. They are constantly updating their templates. Their customer service is amazing. If you have any questions you can easily find the answer on the site and if you want to speak with someone directly they are available, nice, dedicated, and helpful. They are affordable - I just can't say enough good things about their service. I am currently updating my site, but you can take a look www.soradevore.com and you can also look at other foliolink sites from their main page. You can't go wrong with Foliolink!

We have been with Foliolink for 3 years now and love them. The templates can be modified to a great extent, and their customer service is very personable and responsive. Their designers/engineers are very interested in creating templates that are cutting edge with regards to internet technology and aesthetic, and we really appreciate that.

I love that our site is totally different from most other wedding photographers, and it costs a fraction of what some of the other template services charge.

Enna

I would go with Foliolink, without a doubt. I use the Santiago 2 Template for both my sites, and I love the design and the functionality, and how clean and elegant it all feels.

On top of which, the people at Foliolink are extremely helpful if you have any questions. They're also constantly adding to their portfolio of templates, looking to make them even cooler and more cutting edge.

I'd got with them in a heartbeat if I were you.

Apparently, LiveBooks has come down in price. Only a couple of years ago I was quoted

something in the neighborhood of $7000. I think LiveBooks is a capable service but the

price was shocking at the time - which is why I decided to try a website with Foliolink.

After only a few days of the free week long trial, I could see the service was what I was

looking for. The interface is easy, the templates can be modified for a custom look, and

the staff was great to work with. Foliolink is continually looking for ways to improve their

service, template offerings, speed and functionality. I'm looking forward to the new

templates in the works...

Sorry folks, I didn't realize while I was posting that I was logged on to my husband's

account.

Nov 08, 2007; 05:52 p.m:

"Apparently, LiveBooks has come down in price. Only a couple of years ago I was quoted

something in the neighborhood of $7000. I think LiveBooks is a capable service but the

price was shocking at the time - which is why I decided to try a website with Foliolink.

After only a few days of the free week long trial, I could see the service was what I was

looking for. The interface is easy, the templates can be modified for a custom look, and

the staff was great to work with. Foliolink is continually looking for ways to improve their

service, template offerings, speed and functionality. I'm looking forward to the new

templates in the works..."

• 9 months later...

I saw much positive feedback on Bigfolio, I thought I'd try them out. After several emails, I still haven't even

received an estimate! I just wanted to know how much extra it would cost to change the look of the menu bar. I

called last week and they said they'd send an estimate by yesterday. No sign of them.

Looks like I'll be using my ASMP discount for Livebooks--with the discount they're nearly the same price for two

years of service.

• 4 months later...

<p>Another vote for foliolink.<br /> I just launched a Foliolink website. I considered LiveBooks but didn't like the price or the fact that most LiveBooks sites look very similar.<br />It took me only 3 days to resize all my images and get it running. I spent countless hours on the previous version creating it with GoLive and it paled by comparison.

MODERATOR NOTE: Website removed. Users my have their websites on their community page on photo.net only. If you are referencing your site for people to see because it is relevant to the thread.. Simply suggest they click on your name for site/contact information.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>FWIW...<br>

Recently I setup a Foliolink account. I had run a trial to look at their interface, and it seemed okay. On their site they say that many of the features that are available on the Pro account are not available on the Trial, so I made some assumptions about what I could do with the site, such as being able to embed my videos and being able to customize the contact form.

<br />

Well, after I purchased the PRO account, I quickly realized these features were not possible, and overall, the working interface really sucks and is very limited. I had purchased the account on Dec 27, so I contacted them on Jan 6 to request a refund. The response was a definitive 'NO' along with the explanation that because I had checked a Terms of Service radio button when I logged in to the site, I had also acknowledged my acceptance of their 'no-refund' policy.

<br />

I was quite shocked that there was such a policy. In fact, during the entire purchase process there is no mention of this policy. It is only available on their login page, after you setup a site, and even there the policy is buried in a legal document that I am sure hardly anyone ever reads.<br />

<br />

I know that Foliolink is often mentioned as one of the sites to consider as a portfolio hosting service, but I think more people should be aware of their deceptive practices. Should I have read the TOS to begin with? Yes, I probably should have. However, any online service that institutes such a policy should make that policy very clear when you are purchasing the service, not afterwards.

<br />

Unfortunately, I do not have the time or resources to chase after the $800 these people have taken from me, but if I can help someone else avoid the same problem, then I will be satisfied that my loss was not in vain.

<br />

Kind regards,<br />

<br />

Bryon

</p>

<p>I have gone through several sites and honestly have only two that I've used that I liked a lot.<br>

The one I am currently using is A Photo Folio - aphotofolio.com<br>

The one I used previously was Evrium - Evrium.com<br>

Both are flash based and include simple navigation and image presentation, have awesome backend functionality and require minimal to no knowledge of web editing. <br>

I've actually got a seat of Evrium Fluid Galleries Pro that I would be willing to sell/trade if anyone is interested.<br>

Cheers,<br>

• 1 month later...

<p>I just got a complete list of all the web template sellers. Found it at robertbenson.com. He rates them too. Ive been looking at all these. I love bludomain but they have been given an F by the BBB. So hope this helps anyone looking around like I am.</p>

<ol type="1">

<li >fluidgalleries.com </li>

<li >Clickbooq.com </li>

<li >aphotofolio.com </li>

<li >flashpalette.com</li>

<li >Bludomain.com </li>

<li >Bigfolio.com </li>

<li >Photoidentities.com </li>

<li >foliolink.com </li>

<li >icreations.com </li>

<li >intothedarkroom.com </li>

<li >neonsky.com </li>

<li >sitewelder.com </li>

</ol>

• 1 year later...
<p>LIVEBOOKS LOWERS PRICING TO $39/mo + FREE TRIAL: You now get all the features liveBooks has to offer for just $39/mo. No set up fees. You can go to the site now, pick the ready made site design you like, sign up for the 14 day free trial, and get the site instantly. <a rel="nofollow" href="http://sites.livebooks.com/site-chooser/" target="_blank">http://sites.livebooks.com/site-chooser/</a><br /> So, try before you buy.<br /> If you decide you want a fully customized design, you can buy a customized design package any time in the future. If you just want small design tweaks, you can buy them a-al-carte as needed. -Michael Costuros, liveBooks founder.</p>

• 11 months later...

<p><strong>Livebooks</strong> is pretty much the standard in having your portfolio website, i also thought the same till the time i stumbled upon a new service. All Livebooks websites looks the same, there isn't anything you can do about it, no customization.<br>

<strong>Bigfolio </strong>offers custom made site which will cost you time & $$$; so go for it if you have tried ALL the options, All.<br>

<strong>Foliolink</strong> is good, but they don't have a list of designs to choose from, how it looks to have 1000 sites on 20 designs. hmmm... i can't say much now:)<br>

<strong>Now the Alternative</strong>: Well, i have just made my portfolio website through <strong>Pixpa</strong>, and i believe its fabulous. I am not going to write anymore just check out the link & decide for yourself. <br>

Check out @ http://www.pixpa.com<br>

If you find something interesting let me know, i will be watching this space for more inputs.</p>

• 4 months later...