Linhof Technika 70

ben conover

Hello, re-posting this in the correct forum.

Seeking some tips on using a new camera and lens.

I have just bought a new bit of kit listed thus:

Linhof Technika 70 with coupled 80 f2.8 schneider yenotar (rare!) + 56x72

super rollex. Clean condition, some wear to finish around viewfinder - good

focus screen +rear hood - meter works!

Cost on ebay buy it now was $943

Anyone ever used or have experience with the above? Was it a fair price? I

assume yenotar means xenotar? To be honest I can't wait for the kit to arrive,

I will use it for whatever it best suits. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.<div>00HuZw-32144584.jpg.8a4d1c8a63e683c98a645042a1d6d826.jpg</div>

Congratu;ations. If the set is in good condition you have done very well. The 70 is a Press camera. Meant to be fast in the hand. The grip is the key to the handling. The camera is also fully capable of most architectural duty. If I remember right all it lacks is front swing (Although I may be wrong on that) The lens is a standard for the camera. Press cameras carried a little wider lens than the 2x3 Technika. It has a great rangefinder that allows you to focus FAST without regard to dimness.

Thanks!

Thats fantastic news, I'm grinning. I've just found a user manual re-print on ebay, although I guess it's in German. The apparent flexibilty of the Linhof is interesting. I have some 4x5 film holders, would it be able to use those too?

I kinda like the vertical frame because I prefer people to mountains, anyhow, I just hope it arrives in one piece.

Thanks.

Ben:

I doen't matter if the 80 doesn't cover all the movements. You want to shoot it vertical for people anyway. After a while you can pick you up a different lens if you need it. You can't easily use the 4x5 holders. You would need a 4x5 adapter back from Linhof and they are hard to find. Enjoy it for wat it is. You can use the tilt with the camera on its side instead of swings. If you don't have a unipod, you may want to get one. I use my Horseman (a great Linhof copy) with one and it helps get me to the lower speeds. I put a Linhof grip on my Horseman. You noticed you can put your grip on either side. That's a useful feature too. I had Linhofs long ago, but the Horseman, while not a strongly made, has all the features of the Linhof and Linhof accessories were very expensive. Enjoy

Wow! Nice camera. I have regretted not getting one back when they first became available.

Someone on the first forum on which you posted did not understand why Linhof produced

a camera with a vertical orientation. Well, it was to facilitate the production of magazine

cover shots. In the 1970's, stock agencies were most anxious to get more vertical formate

images for just such use. The 35mm is too easy to use horizontally.

In addition, the Technika 70, and the Press 70 were also producing "ideal format" images;

what became known as the 6x7 format.

Of course, a 4x5 could use a roll film back but the Technika 70 was so elegant. As I

remember, there were 2 sets of lenses with corresponding frame-lines: 53mm, 80mm,

180mm or 53mm, 100mm, 180mm.

Enjoy!

Jim

Jim, I knew exactly what the claims of the vertical format were. I stated that, for a handheld camera, the Technica 70 is not very practical UNLESS you just want to shoot verticals. Personally, I didn't think it was. And, for that price, he could have had a 4x5, or another, more modern 6x6 camera that will shoot horizontals handheld. You have to admit having to put the thing on a tripod and compose on the groundglass isn't very practical. Besides, the magazine connection seems to fall down when you think about the rotating back built into the camera. The back moves, but the viewfinder doesn't. I'll stick with my opinion. Incidentally, the Technica 23 is a lot better camera and they are becoming available at better prices now too.

<<The 70 is a Press camera.>>

To be correct the Linhof Tecnika 70 is a field camera.

According to producer's description it is considered to be the most universal and compact precision large format system for both location and studio shooting. It is a technical baseboard camera with sturdy die-cast body. Built-in coupled precision long-base dichroic range-finder, drop bed extension, detachable quick-change swing back with revolving frame, grid groundglass and removable focusing hood. Fold-up infinity stops and interchangeable distance scales for each coupled lens, tricam coupling disc for three lengths.

TILTS: (Front) 30ᄚ; Rear: 15ᄚ

SWINGS: (Front) 15ᄚ; Rear: 15ᄚ

RISE & FALL (COMBINED):

Front: about 25mm + 15ᄚ Bed Drop;

LATERAL SHIFT: (Front) 2" (50mm);

CAMERA BACK:

Revolving Back accepts Standard 6x9 Cut Film Holders, Super Rollex and Cine Rollex Roll Film Backs.

So, congratulations.

Jorge, I checked the details about the coverage and it seems I will get some useful movements with the Scneider lens, enough for me.

I think it's important for me to use the lens I bought and see how it works out. I don't plan on buying heaps of glass just yet. I see about the 4x5 back, I'm interested in the 69 format, I will try to aquire a Linhof 69 roll film nack, if they made them. Interesting abou the unipod, I suppose that's like a monopod. I'm still plodding along! Cool, I'd prefer the grip on the right, I'll try it on the left first, i winder why people use it on the left. Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

James, I hope it will arrive soon! I plan on never having any regrets and if I do, it'll be that I haven't worked out how to use the camera yet! Your mention of magazine cover shots sounds very alluring. I'd love to shoot nudes in that style, classy ones.

The rangefinder on my Fujig690bl was wonderful, I can't wait to see what the Linhof has in store for me! The 67 format is certainly ideal in terms of paper size usage etc, but I prefer the look of 69.

Jim, elegant is a good word for her, I think she has lovely big eyes and not much fat to spare.

Alec, I'm a beginner. I already have a fine 4x5. I've also used 35mm, 645, 66, 69, and even a digital point and shoot.

Cheers.

Victor, I'll get back to you soon, must dash now, and thanks for the great information.

Andrey, can't wait.

Victor - Back again, I read in that link above by Roger Hicks, that you get a much better front rise if you remove the rangefinder totally! I think that's really butchering a wonderful camera, and like Roger says, better to try that on a spare Linhof, if such a thing exists.

Anyhow, the lens coverage, movements, and operation of the camera will make more sense when I get my hands on it. STill no response from the seller, 99% feedback and a high score, oh well.

I read that the linhof has the longest base rangfinder out there, makes it quite accurate I guess.

I think there was some advantage to using the cine roll fim holder, and not sure if one can still find 69 sheet film!

I enjoyed seeing your photo of the Siberian village, my grandparents on one side were Ukranian. Siberian and especially Mongolian stallions have the best white tail hair for re-hairing violin bows.

Many thanks Victor.

Correction to the above, the camera will have cost $1,030 after shipping. Ouch. Still though, it's a beautiful classic from which I hope to learn a fair amount. My B&J 4x5 with lens holder, meter, and shipping incl was $200, by comparison also a great buy.

I was wondering why Fuji don't make a new version of the g690bl, with a lightmeter and lenses from 50-250mm, for the niche market.

The old ones are getting expensive enough, and the 50mm lens is apparently so rare it might not even exist...

A great camera, especially if you are left-eyed dominant, like I am. I have the 6X9 Technika V

and you can get all the same Linhof based accessories, e.g. boards that take the 6X9 board

for the 4X5 technika and/or Kardan 4X5. I can use all my 6X9 lenses mounted on the 6X9

boards on th 4X5, like a 65 SA, 135 Symmar, even the 100 Symmar at close distances.

Enjoy your Technika 70.

Jean-Louis, I just bought a Linhof manual online for about $15. it is written in English and has photos to show me how etc. Thankyou very much for your offer.

John, that's totally fantastic news. I am left eye dominant too! So I really am foaming at the mouth now waiting for my new love to arrive in the post.

Wow, the Linhof folks really got their act together making accessories. Did they make a 612 super rolex film back?

Does anyone else make them that fit the Linhof 70?

Jaysis, so I could even use my Schneider Xenar 210mm on the Linhof?

Alec said: "You have to admit having to put the thing on a tripod and compose on the groundglass isn't very practical" NO, the 70 is a Press Camera despite what Victor says. It is made to be used like a handheld camera, thus the grip. The huge rangefinder is there so you don't have to use the groundglass for press pictures. You would put it on tripod and use the groundglass when doing architectural or product photography. Victor's specifications for the 70 are also incorrect. The tilt is different forward than backwards, I do not beleive it has any swings, but I will get to the bottom of that and report back. And I have found that they did charge yen for the 3 Linhofs sold in Japan in the 1950s to 70's.

Here is what Roger Hicks says about the camera in the Shutterbug site Ben linkd above:

Thereメs a quick-change triple cam for three individually coupled lenses, a built-in meter, a levelling indicator, and all kinds of mechanical refinements. Put in on a tripod, and you have a first-rate モbabyヤ view camera, with back swings and tilts, and cross (lateral shift), rise (vertical shift), and tilt at the front. It would probably be too expensive to build today: Iメd be surprised if you could sell the body alone for much under $10,000

I don't see any front swings here. Some folks confuse the Technika 70 with the Technika 2x3 which has much smaller rangefinder and may have front swings (but I am not sure about that either. It seems that's why I sold mine in favor of the Horseman 985 which has more movement than the Technika.

Ben Conover stated: "I was wondering why Fuji don't make a new version of the g690bl, with a lightmeter and lenses from 50-250mm, for the niche market. The old ones are getting expensive enough, and the 50mm lens is apparently so rare it might not even exist..."

Ben, The 50mm exists, proof is that I have two samples of this beautiful lens. There was one for sale last month for $849.00 on keh.com. It is not common in the States, because it seems that it has not been officially imported. It's easier to find in Europe or Asia.

I agree with you: it's a shame Fuji doesn't make the G690 anymore. The newer plastic-bodied GW690 series are fine cameras, but they lack the interchangeable lenses, plus they have this awkward "T" shutter setting and noisy film counter. Now that the GW/GSW690 III have been discontinued, it is about time for Fuji to reintroduce the good old G690. I know, I know, only dreaming...

Cheers,

Sebastien Lallement

Fuji G690 online resource: http://artbig.com/

Seb, thanks that's very interesting to know. Do you have any photos of the lens or sample photos taken with it? Does it flare easily?

Seems those links to shutterbug above are to the front page. I had given a link to the specific articles, which worked for a day, but not now...very odd.

In my haste to buy a beautiful camera and rare lens I think I made a mistake with the Linhof 70. It occured to me that the sheet film for this camera is no longer made....is that correct?

How does one use the rollfilm back with movements, how do you compose and focus the scene properly? I think I made a boo boo...

Cheers.