Limited Edition certificates

gary_anthes

I'm about to start selling prints in limited, numbered editions. (Signature and

LE number on the print.) I had not planned to include any kind of certificate

with the prints but am wondering if I should. Will buyers ask for one? Even if

they don't, will they see it as adding value? For those of you who do it, what

do you put on it? Thanks.

If you are going to include the certificate, write the truth - that the prints are limited by the amount of the available ink and/or paper, or by the quantities of the placed orders. And that you have the rights to sell the same prints as other limited editions because you have changed the ink and/or paper and you have recived more orders to buy from other suckers.

What exactly are you trying to achieve by limiting your prints? Do you feel you'll be able to sell them for more since they are limited? Do you believe there is a perceived value if you limit the print? I've never really understood this notion.

Harry, yes, the idea is I MAY be able to sell them for more since they are limited. But I could be wrong. I suspect some people would pay more, others wouldn't give a hoot. I'm going to try it both ways. If I reach any definitive conclusions, which I doubt, I'll post them. In the meantime, I'm wondering about those certificates...

Hahnemuhle makes Certificates of Authenticity that are available at places like B&H, Adorama or Amazon.com - from the description:

<p>

<b>Certificate of Authenticity and Hologram system:</b><br><i>

The Hahnem�hle Certificate of Authenticity is designed to protect the security and exclusivity of you limited edition art works and reproductions, and reduce the risk of forgery.

<p>

Each certificate has a serialized numerical hologram already affixed to the certificate. The certificate can then have your customised design and wording printed onto it, eg: description of art work, publisher, artist, edition number and date, through inkjet, laser, thermal transfer or offset litho printing.

<p>

An identical numerically serialized hologram is also provided, to be fixed directly to the art work itself, usually on the reverse image side. This combination assures that the Certificate of Authenticity relates directly to that particular piece of artwork.

<p>

The certificates are manufactured to the strict standards and regulations of Europay and Clearstream, the world leaders in forgery resistant printing.

<p>

The forgery resistant security characteristics found in this system are both visible and invisible in the forms of serial number, Guilloche with relief, rainbow-pressure, watermarks and a special UV signature.

<p>

The certificates and hologram systems are available in packs of 100 sequenced numbers. Hahnemuhle also keeps an additional record at their offices for added security. Also available in 20 or 5 Packs.</i>

<p>

From what I recall, you register the serial #s with their art registry website so people can check the sticker numbers.

Thanks to all for your interesting replies, which range form "this is the dumbest question and idea yet" to a recommendation I buy forgery-proof certificates with holograms. I think I'm in the middle of those positions. I'm going to wait and see how much demand there is for certificates. If someone asks for one, I can type up something over my signature. I might take that as an opportunity to give more detail about the photo -- when/where taken, more about the subject, maybe equipment used, etc. I think at least some buyers would find that of value. (P.S. I do primarily nature photography and I'm generally willing to tell people EXACTLY where I got a shot, in case they want to go there.)

How about taking a look at this from a different perspective. Why would you edition a print? Editioning "may" increase the value but not likely to you. If the editioning has any value it will be if the buyer resells the print at a later date. Since it likely means no more money in your jeans why do it? Are you a well known, highly sought after photographer? If not, then editioning isn't likely to have any impact at all now or later. Let's say you limit the edition to 200. What if you only sell 5? People will think there are 200 out here but in fact there are only 5. The edition is even more limited than you intended and any benefit that might have accrued to you from the limited number isn't perhaps as much as it could have been because you overanticipated sales potential. Now the really big question, what if you sell all 200 of the edition and have orders for 200 more? Are you really willing to forego that much additional income? If so, why? Are you really prepared to destroy the neg, slide or digital image file so that no more prints can be made from it that may harm the validity of the edition?

Sign the print. Title the print. Editioning really makes little sense in the grander scheme.

Thanks, Robert. I am coming round to your way of thinking. "What if you only sell 5? People will think there are 200 out here but in fact there are only 5." This, in fact, is likely to be the scenario for me. I have about six photos framed and for sale in editions of 100. The next batch will not be editioned. I'll see if there is any obvious difference in buyer (should there be any) behavior.

• 3 years later...
<p>Gary, I think your first concern would be to get a proper website. If someone was really interested in your photography, how are they suppose to buy it? I visited your site and found no cart, price or details on the kind of prints you sell. A web presence is very important. If you sell through a third party, add the link to your portfolio. Keep it simple and obvious that you are selling.</p>

• 10 months later...

<p>In addition to providing these pieces of paper, do you also track the buyer's name, address, contact, or other info.?<br>

If paper certificates are easy to reproduce, what are other additional add on security measures you could provide? (eg. have the buyer's picture profile (eg. headshot) kept along with certificate?, or hand or fingerprint as well?)<br>

Backup this information in various places? (rather than just one set location?)</p>