Bruce Gilden... "Bruce Gilden says...." Lots of people have

probably said the same thing. It's pretty common for

photographers to travel just to take photographs, isn't it? I see

as much of Robert Frank here and maybe some Danny Lyon,

except for the flash stuff which has always annoyed me for some

reason anyway. For the rest of it, nice old school black and

white pics, some nice shots... a load of images, and the

juxtapositions work fairly well.

3 times I've seen him between 57th street and maybe 50th street on west side of fifth ave.. Always in the afternoon so that his side of the street is in shadow but the other {background) side is in light. Then he uses the flash to (more than) balance the foreground and background.

Of course that tells as much about where I spend my time as anything else, and maybe if I were ever there in the morning he would be on the east side of the street.

Oh, and he seems to be taking a lot of photos of female Japanese tourists. He walks up from behind and jumps in front of them with his camera and flash in each hand about 2 or 3 feet in front of them. Of course he's pretty intimidating looking in full war photographer drag, photo vest, bucket hat, etc.

Jerry is a terrific street photographer and some of these photos could be interchanged with Bruce's work . Flash sharpens street photos but using it is a powder keg and expensive leica equipment can be damaged at any time.

Andy, some folks prefer white meat and some prefer red meat, those that don't eat the type we like to eat have "'tude"....got it.

Note to self: In any open forum personal expression of opinion is frowned upon and only welcome when it agrees with the masses, otherwise keep your opinions to yourself.

Anyway, many thanks for the advice...noted.

no, Ed, personal ops are just fine, bring them on. I eat red meat and let the vegans wander around undernourished all around me with nary a glance. It's just that I don't want to see you take the Grant path and turn into a nasty, nattering ninny the moment a thread participant mentions the "L" word. Remember, "L' users are people too, bless 'em.

LOL (maniacally, spittin up food and coffee all over my desk)...you bastard comparing me with the likes of that leica toting, base plate sniffin' bastard...

<p>

Next thing you'll tell me is that DSLR users are people too.

<p>

Oh, when will the nonsense end, Christ when will it end?

The way I see it both Dave and Peter raise interesting points. Gildens work is a schtick, a gimmick done in a rangefinder style. Similar to One of Christo's gates or a Jackson Pollock...if you have seen one you have seen 'em all.

It'd be interesting to see how far he would have gotten had he been using an SLR intead.

Well at least this threads back on topic....

ps: Michael, I'm still not sure about what your trying yo say....hope your not comparing me too that vulgasr bastard Grant.