LightScribe DVD+R vs. CD's

I just sent my husband to the store to pick up some more CD's that I can burn

images on and deliver to customers. I have a lightscribe which I love. I have

been using CD's. He brought home DVD+R's. My question is that since I am burning

pictures on for digital negatives for my customers, are they going to be able to

go down to the local drug store and have them printed off a DVD? I don't want to

give something to my customers to later find out that they are unusable.

Thanks,

Katie

I have never encountered a problem reading data DVDs of either +R or -R format. DVD-R seems to be more widely compatible for videos. For data, DVD-R tend to have a slightly higher correctable error rate, but well within tolerance. Whether typical photo processors can read DVDs is another question. My local Wolf Camera has no problem. Wal-Mart might be another matter. Some of my customers do not have DVD readers in all computers, so I print CDRs for their convenience.

If the images will fit on a CDR, then use a CDR. There's no question that CDs are more widely accepted. If a CDR is not big enough, I prefer to put them on one DVD+R, which will hold about 7x as much data (except as above).

For weddings I include copyright release after the album is delivered. All the full resolution JPG files are burned to a DVD+R for further copying to the client's computer. I tell them to create a folder of just the images they want to print and burn a CD of only that folder so as to not have to load 600 images into the kiosk software. It is more relaxing to do this at home rather than taking up time and causing a line at the kiosk. Clients who are not computer savy can come back to me for order fulfillment.

NEWER fuji kiosks(no idea regarding agfa/konica/noritsu/kodak) are able to print from DVD both +R and -R, older ones(sometimes which cant even externally be identified from the newer ones....can't. If the customer needs the files printed directly from a frontier's pic...IE if you've converted them to a specific lab's profile, at least on the 3xx series, they only read cd's