<p>I have been using Lightroom 5.7 for a couple of years. I import all my files thru Lightrooom and switch to Photoshop thru Lightroom so that Lighroom can keep track of my files. Recently I had to replace my motherboard and since then when I fire up Lightroom there are no images in the files, then it populates the image files from the top down and shows the number of images in each file. I don't remember that happening before.<br />I was cleaning up some files in Lighroom this morning. I closed the program. when I went opened Lightroom this afternoon there were no images and no files. The files are all on my hard drive and I can access them through Photoshop but Lightroom can not find them. Please help me. </p>

<p>Thanks Tudor. I have found most of the files. The problem I have with Lightroom is that I rename and put files in folders using the Lightroom library, and Lightroom does not always make the changes in the files on my data storage drive. I make changes in one session and the next time I access the Lightroom catalogue the files are moved and stored in another file by date. I could go back to just managing the whole thing on my data drive except that my operating system can't open CR2 files. <br>

e</p>

<p>You can have it both ways. Even if your O/S can't read/open CR2 files you can still store, rename or move them outside of Lightroom. You can then import them into Lightroom and further manipulate them within that program.</p>

<p>I designate a folder on my data drive, PHOTOS, and create subdirectories with a date code and description (e.g., D151001 Wright Woods), and copy files from the memory card into that subdirectory. This way the files are exactly where I want them, without the sometimes undecypherable nomenclature Lightroom assigns.</p>

<p>The subdirectory name and file name together constitute a unique identifier. While you can rename the files, it is not necessary. You can rename them in Lightroom, or (preferably) assign them to one or more collections. A collection points to the original file but does not make a separate copy. In database terms, this is a "save once, use many" operation. If you prefer, you can also make copies of files and store the copies in new directories or assign them to collectons.</p>

<p>Thanks Edward. I appreciate your help My experience is that if you do anything outside lightroom, you must synchronize the folder to update it. I guess I will have to get some one on one help with the program. I really like most of the features but the catalog drives me crazy. </p>

<p>Once you import the folder, whatever you do within Lightroom is automatically synchronized. That includes edits you execute by calling Photoshop from Lightroom or exporting to Photomatix or some other program. Copies you make in Lightroom can be automatical re-imported, separately or stacked with the original.</p>

<p>Synchronizing is not very difficult either. If Lightroom recognizes a particularly directory, right click and synchronize. If the folder isn't already in Lightroom, import it. You can import or synchronize several directories at once, or even an whole disk. Existing files will be updated and new files will be imported.</p>