Lightroom and files management - Please suggestions!

<p>This is my situation: I always shoot RAW files and manage/edit them with Lightroom 3. I import the RAW files from the CF card into Lightroom, making a second copy to an external hard drive. Then I convert the original RAW files into DNG files, because I wanted to work on these files and take advantages of the DNG format (more portable, without sidecar files) in the develop process. Then I review the DNG files to choose only the best shots and discart (delete) the others. After that, how can I delete the same files from the main original RAW files folder and from the copy on the external hard drive?<br>

My goal is to have few DNG files from a photographic session to work on (I try to keep only my best instead of filling hard disks of many redundant shots) and the same files archived in the original RAW format. I know I can embedd the original RAW in the DNG container, but this doubles the DNG file size!<br>

Can you tell me your strategy or suggest me something to improve my workflow?<br>

Thank you, Alberto.</p>

<p>I would simply do all the reviewing/deleting of images <strong>before</strong> the conversion to DNG and backing up.<br>

Then back up all the RAW files to your external hard drive, and, as the last step, have Lightroom convert the remaining images to DNG. It can automatically delete the original RAW file after conversion, if you check that option.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Your workflow is fine - unfortunately you've hit on one of LR's weaknesses. While it does allow you to import images into two separate locations, it only uses the primary location to affect any asset management changes. The other location remains totally unchanged. As far as that is concerned therefore, your only solution would be to then run some sort of synchronisation utility which will synchronise your primary location with that of the secondary/backup location.</p>

<p>Alternatively, you could do the following: archive your secondary location somewhere else (i.e. DVDs or whatever) and then, once you're done manipulating your images in LR, synchronise your WHOLE catalogue, including the images, to another drive. This is usually done by mirroring the two drives. That way you have your final library on two locations and it will always be the right one.</p>

<p>What I do is this: I import all my images directly into LR, with the second copy going into a "watched" folder on my desktop. That folder is effectively monitored by my DVD-burning application and once it's full, the application itself presents me with a dialogue to start burning DVDs (Caution here: the application will launch immediately upon the first images landing on the folder - however I will wait until I am done with the importing before I click "Burn").</p>

<p>I then proceed to sort and process my DNGs, keyword them and wreak any post-processing havoc I want. And then, just before Shutdown, I have my synchronisation utility running which mirrors my main FW800 7,200rpm drive (where only my library and photos reside) to TWO external USB disks. Once the mirroring is complete, the computer shuts down, I disconnect one of the additional drives and store it in my fireproof safe. The other, once a week is rotated with a fourth drive located away from home...</p>

<p>Call me paranoid, but I back up and duplicate my files numerous times. When I import my pics into LR, I also copy the RAW files to an external drive. I never touch those redundant files again unless I lose all my other hard drives. Then I do daily, weekly and even monthly backups of my Lightroom library. All backups are done to external drives connected through eSata. The monthly backup drive is always disconnected, except when I do the monthly backup - I try to minimize the chance of a virus to affect that particular drive. I keep one monthly backup offsite in our safe deposit box.</p>

<p>Reading this over again, I realize, I am indeed paranoid:-)</p>

<p>I can understand why they designed LR the way they did. A backup is supposed to be a secure copy, and unless you specifically do something to the backup itself it provides a record of everything you uploaded. If deleting the primary raw or DNG automatically deleted the backup, that wouldn't be true. </p>

<p>Still I agree that if your backup files are on a separate drive, as mine are, its a PITA for you could in theory control whether wiping the main also deleted the backup by whether you had the backup drive on or off when deleting. Net result for me at least is that I have two identically sized drives for primary files and backup, and whilst the former still has plenty of space the latter is newly full. </p>

<p>It's a good idea to backup all of the original raw files and keep them off line. You never know what will be useful in the future. I've found shots I didn't care for at first useful for other reasons. Sometimes just the placement of key elements fits better with text and graphics, or makes better editorial sense.</p>

<p>You have the option in Lightroom to delete the entire file or just the thumbnail. If you delete the thumbnail, it doesn't clutter the screen and you won't accidently make copies of it to another format. I might have two or more derivative files (TIFF, JPEG, print files, etc) of a given original, so editing up front eliminates a lot of effort later.</p>

<p>2TB drives are $100 USD/AUD = $0.05/GB. Assume you're making 3 copies of the file for sake of argument (original, onsite and offsite backup), so bump that up to $0.15/GB. The largest size a RAW file will be is about 40MB (not sure if this is correct) = $0.006 (or less than 1c).<br>

So by my thinking, to make it worth your time deleting files vs just paying for more storage space, you'd have to delete a massive amount of photos per hour. 3600 photo deletions per hour (or 1 per second) = $22.<br>

Storage is cheap, time costs money. Rate the file as a 0 and move on and you'll spend less time worrying if you've deleted the wrong files.</p>