Light stand and boom

les

I have decided on White Lightning strobes (3xX1600 + 1xX3200).

After reading a lot odf posts regarding the stands/booms (including AlienBees stuff) and doing a lot of research on

the net, the following seems to fit the bill:

1x Avenger D650 Boom arm with counterweight + 1x Heavy Duty Bogen/Manfrotto Air Cushioned Cine stand (11')

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512653-

REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_126BSUAC_126BSUAC_Air_Cushioned_Black.html

Plus: 2x Bogen/Manfrotto 3363 Air Cushioned Light Stand with Casters (13')

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5592-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3363_3363_Air_Cushioned_Black.html

I would really appreciate some feedback - as I am going to ship these items from B&H to Australia.

(I have checked prices of Bogen/Manfrotto and Avenger stuff here in Oz - and it appears that prices here are in the

range of 200% to 250% compared to B&H, so it makes sense to pay $400 for shipping).

This boom is well worth it, I have had one for 12 years. I have had to replace the central tightening grip once because the teeth will wear

out. Don't bother having them send any additional weights, buy them where you are: it is a good idea to put a couple weights around the

three supporting stem structures that attache to the central column. AND good choice on the White Lightnings, as I have had these for

12 years too! These monolights have lots of great attachments. Peruse the catalog and ask yourself what you might need: boxes, half

boxes, umbrellas, hex direct-light mounts, polarizers. The earlier White Lightnings were a little heavier duty only because they had solid

metal casings, so I am not sure the 3200's would take the 3 meter falls that my 1800's occasionally did. White Lighting addressed a few

of the internal problems with these. If you have a little electrical know-how, tech services at Paul C. Buff can walk you through

problems that may arise with these lights. (This may be easier than having to wait a month to have one shipped). It's a great company,

and they are warranted for 5 years flat out. Old ones can be used for parts, and 1/2 off new lights. I still have 2 1800 models from

1995. Now I have additional 2 3200s. They are a workhorse. Oh yeah, and thumbs up for B&H. Say hello to my sweetie on the Gold

Coast, aye?.

Ellis - thanks. I know about this combo - but the boom has fixed length, which is a big no-no for me (well, if I had more space available, this would definitely be worth considering).

Chris - thanks. I was considering getting the stands and booms from Paul Buff - but a lot of people were of the opinion that this is not terribly good stuff - and if I want something like this, I can always buy it in Australia without paying couple of hundred bucks for shipping.

So, I figured Avenger/Manfrotto would be a good combination.

What I am mostly interested in, is how Manfrotto 3363 stacks up. I know that Avenger 650 + the cine stand should do the job, but the 3363's seem to be a bit light ?

I guess I could always get 3 cine stands with the 1-1/8" to 5/8" reduction spigot...

If you are staying in one spot, you might consider Bogen's wall mount boom arm. No floor stand to trip over and it will definitely handle a WL Ultra 1800 with a big soft box, I done it. If you are needing to be mobile, the Redwing boom arm is the best I've ever seen or used. It's parallelogram design keeps the light in register as you change the position and with the extension arms, you can get a pretty good reach, plus break in down for travel. It has to go on a very sturdy stand, just like any other boom arm.