Lester A. Dine f/2.8 1:1 Macro 105mm Lens for Nikon

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by jean melissa, Sep 1, 2006.

1. I just bought a Lester A. Dine f/2.8 1:1 Macro 105mm Lens for Nikon off of Ebay.

Would anyone be willing to share with me their favorite ideas for photography
    subjects using this particular lens - having the experience having done so
    already? Also, I would love to hear any recommendations on handling/set-up/etc.
    for this type of photography.

I am so excited! My first macro lens and it is the one so many of you have
    commented on/praised in the past. This is wonderful forum and I am so thankful
    it exists! Thank you~

2. Congratulations on being proud owner of one of the finest macro lenses ever made. Photographic ideas ... well, depends on what your favorite subjects are. This lens will do justice for any macro subject. Since this lens can resolve such incredible detail, centers of flowers with stamens would be a great start. And since this lens produces extremely pleasing background rendition (bokeh), play with background highlights/textures all you like.
    00HsST-32088484.jpg

3. "Do you find you like it more, less, or just in a different way than your 105mm F4 Nikkor?" - Peter P.
    I love it as much as the 200/4 AF Micro and more than anything else :)
    Also - truly flat filed and amazing corner sharpness, so shoot anything that requires corner-to-corner sharpness.
    [​IMG]
    Go ahead and shoot subjects corner-to-corner!
    Damsel at an angle - no cropping

4. I don't do much flowers, but this lens will shine there too.
    00HsUH-32089084.jpg

5. No creature is ugly enough for the Kiron 105/2.8 ..
    00HsUM-32089184.jpg

6. And as magnification gets higher, completely blurred backgrounds are very pleasing.
    00HsUv-32089684.jpg

7. Environmental bug portraits work very well too, so you don't always need to get so close.
    00HsV6-32089784.jpg

8. Thank you so much everyone for the great examples! And tips for set-up - i.e. tripod, lighting, etc.? I love nature photography, so perhaps Mother Nature will have more say over most of the conditions than I will!

9. "tripod, lighting, etc"
    Use the heaviest tripod you can (I recommend Gitzo Explorer 2220) and use a remote (wired/wiress) release. I do not use flash, so I shoot using available light. Needs a lot of patience, but its worth it.

10. Congrats, Jeannie, on the new lens! I look forward to seeing some great pics....soon.

Arnab...what remote release are you using on your D200? I was perfectly happy with the cable release I had with my D100....but, no such beast is available for the D200 :-(

As always, great pics, Arnab! I find your spiders to be beautiful...not ugly...

11. "Arnab...what remote release are you using on your D200? I was perfectly happy with the cable release I had with my D100....but, no such beast is available for the D200 :-(" - Dee W.
    I got a Chinese knockoff of MC-30 from eBay for $14 (including shipping). Works like a charm :) http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EsdH
    I realize I am obsessing over this thread :) monitoring responses in real-time, but then my passion for Kiron 105 is well-known.

12. Arnab,

Your gallery is both beautiful and inspiring!

And if we were not suffering from Ernesto's wrath this weekend, my patience would most certainly be tried waiting for this lens to arrive in the mail.

Thank you for all of your contributions to macro photography on this forum!

Jeannie

13. ky2

ky2

Arnab, Kiron should hire you as their Marketing VP!

14. Thanks everyone. Jeannie, I still learn new things everyday, and I'm yet to learn how to get consistently get completely natural-looking results using flash :) Speaking of gear - if you have a focusing rail, you can get 1:1 closeups with Kiron 105.
    00HsaI-32093284.jpg

15. And even closer with extension tubes ...
    00HsaL-32093384.jpg

16. "Arnab, Kiron should hire you as their Marketing VP!" - Yaron
    Yaron, I wish Kino Precision Optics were to exist today -- at least to put Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Vivitar and the OEMs to shame.

17. What is a focusing rail? What does it do and where can I get one?
    And for extension tubes, what size/brand/etc. would you recommend?

18. "What is a focusing rail? What does it do and where can I get one? And for extension tubes, what size/brand/etc. would you recommend?" - Jeannie K
    Jeannie:
    A focusing rail is a camera support that attaches to the bottom of camera and sits on top of the tripod. Using a focusing rail you can fine-tune focus by moving the camera back-and-forth using the geared movement built into focusing rails. for more info see here
    http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/closeup-focusing-rail.html
    http://www.hoothollow.com/Tip-September 2004.html
    I use the Kirk FR-1 and Nikon PG-2 Focusing rails.
    My most favorite extension is Nikon PN-11 but it is discontinued and hard to find used. You may consider Kenko Uniplus DG tubes (I recommend the 25mm version). Since these tubes have AF contacts, you will get AF and metering with AF lenses on bodies like D50, D70, D80 etc.

19. with many uses..........
    00Hsow-32097484.jpg

20. possibility
    00Hsp4-32097584.jpg

21. not everyone is crazy about bugs.....
    00Hsp7-32097684.jpg

22. "And since this lens produces extremely pleasing background rendition (bokeh), play with background highlights/textures all you like."

I like my manual Nikkor 105mm/f2.8 lens a lot, and I'm not familiar with this Lester A Dine lens. There is a magnification difference, but what are some other comparisons? And what does the above quote mean? Other background info will also help, such as manufacturer, vintage, versions, etc. Thanks.

23. "And tips for set-up - i.e. tripod, lighting, etc.?" Here is a picture that may help you put the rest of the system together. Lester Dine's ring/point light flash combo. It is designed for this Kiron macro. In case patience take longer time to develope then you have patience for :) Minolta focus rail (from AB1 bellow). Very Good, for the money. Angle Finder with 2X/1X switch. In case you don't have eagle eyes yet. Eagle eye is easier then patience but not by much. One in the picture is Minolta Angle Finder VN (from Minolta Maxxum system). Very good, for the price.
    00HstC-32100084.jpg

24. Interesting comment Arnab. Please now show some ugly creatures not only beautiful spiders and insects^^.

Walter (Biologist)
    PS I am still searching but so far without luck to find any really ugly creature. But I admit I am prejudice.

25. Jeannie, You have got a real winner. Welcome to the club J Even with my "beginner" level skills and a D50 (on a tripod) I have got some results I like. The color contrast and bokeh of this lens is excellent. Ive not used the 105mm Micro Nikkor, but the bokeh and colors I get with this lens are as good as (if not better) the 60mm Nikkor micro and 55mm MF Nikkor Micro. Robert, There are has been a good amount of discussion about this topic before. Please see the following threads. http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00H1Fy http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Gm9V http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GtZm http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GuGL Arnab and Brab have given some excellent examples. Attached are some of mine. But I think you need a focusing rail and a good tripod for this. I'm sure you would love it.
    00Hsw2-32102384.jpg

26. It really gets all the details you want.
    00Hsw8-32102484.jpg

27. And of course the bokeh and colors at large f values.
    00Hsw9-32102584.jpg

28. And if you want everything in one - color, bokeh and sharpness :) Special thanks to Arnab for recommending this lens.
    00Hsx0-32102784.jpg

29. Those are some amazing images! I'm glad Jeannie asked this question so all these could be
    shown in one spot. So nice!

30. Thanks for the references, they answered lots of my questions. Here are a few more:

Does the Lester lens has the buildin hood like the Kiron lens?

Are there different versions or serials for either the Lester or Kiron lens we need to be aware of?

Any photos of these lenses will be helpful.

31. "Please now show some ugly creatures not only beautiful spiders and insects^^." - Walter S.
    Walter, I have never seen an ugly insect in my life. If I still had to choose, I'd say the fire ants that ambush me every morning in the field :(
    "Does the Lester lens has the buildin hood like the Kiron lens? Are there different versions or serials for either the Lester or Kiron lens we need to be aware of? " - Robert K.
    Robert - none if these lenses have a built in lens hood. The Lester A Dine and Kiron 105 are identical except for the label. Vivitar 100/2.8 and 105/2.5 AIS lenses have identical optical design but different mechanical designs. The 100/2.8 has a built-in sliding lens hood.
    I continue to be spellbound by this lens. When used properly, it will exceed your expectations everytime. Here's something I shot just a couple hours ago .....

[​IMG]
    Wasp in morning sun - D200 + Kiron 105mm/f2.8 1:1 Macro AIS, ISO 100 NEF
    And attached the 100% crops ...

00Htao-32117484.jpg

32. "Does the Lester lens has the buildin hood like the Kiron lens?"

Yes, mine does.

33. Arnab,

At my beginner level, which would you recommend for a focusing rail - the Kirk FR-1 or the Nikon PG-2 Focusing rails? I'm so excited... and I can see myself waking up really early in the morning to get the bugs and the morning dew just for this!

Thanks again for all your help,
    Jeannie

34. Jeannie,

I think the Kirk FR-1 will be easier to operate compared to PG-2. The PG-2 is heavy and doesn't let you mount by lens tripod collars.

There are better focusing rails out there (Novoflex and RRS) but they are significantly more expensive. I find FR-1 perfectly adequate for my needs.

Good luck on early morning macro nature photography, it's really exciting :)

35. There ARE two different versions of this Lester A Dine lens, but the only difference is that the later version had the hood removed.

36. Thanks, Boggy. That explains why there are two different answers about the buildin hood in this thread. The completed items at eBay showed both the Lester and the Kiron to have a buildin hood.

37. the leaster a. dine 105 = a great lens.
    00InRL-33513384.jpg

38. another shot with lester. a dine 105
    00InRU-33513484.jpg

39. Hi.
    I just won the auction on eBay. Awaiting a Lester Dine 105/2.8 with ring flash (plus a Nikon 6006). Can't wait to try it out.

I want to dive into the world of macro photo. Insect, flowers, things, etc.

Have a couple of questions about the lens (even before I start..)

Is the lester dine ring flash any good for this kind of macro?

I have a D80. What will be a good choice for tripod, considering the weight of the lens and the relative light D80?

I am a little bit anxious about the metering/exposure. Anybody know if an upgrade/chip work is possible for this lens?

BR. Øyvind

40. Arnab

I've been saying for years, that with a touch of diffusion, it's a great portrait lens too.

Russ (Kiron Kid)

41. Is the lester dine ring flash any good for this kind of macro?
    I'm afraid not. This flash won't do iTTL and it has not manual output control either. Using aperture to control exposure is just not practical in macro. Get a SB600, Lumiquest Ultrasoft Pocketbounce and Wimberley Macro Module F-2.
    I have a D80. What will be a good choice for tripod, considering the weight of the lens and the relative light D80?
    Gitzo Explorer 2220 with Acratech Ultimate ballhead V1.
    I am a little bit anxious about the metering/exposure. Anybody know if an upgrade/chip work is possible for this lens?
    It may be technically possible to have this lens chipped but hard to find someone to actually do it. You're better off with a handheld light meter.

42. "I've been saying for years, that with a touch of diffusion, it's a great portrait lens too. " - Russ

Russ, it is one of the best lenses I've ever used. Closest to perfection if there ever was any.

43. i owned the lester a. dine for my nikon film camera for years, and it's a fantastic lens for
    macro and portraiture. when i bought my pentax k100d, i traded the dine for a vivitar series
    1, basically the same lens, and i rarely take it off my camera. it's so much sharper than the
    kit lens, and for the stuff i shoot, it's usually the right choice. even though i wasn't using it,
    the dine was a hard lens to part with, but when i found the trade, i couldn't resist picking up
    a version of this lens that i could use again, and passing along the nikon version to another
    photographer. congratulations on owning one of the finest lenses made.

44. Is the Kiron 28-105mm one of these?

f/3.2-4.5 macro 1:4 0/67 - 28-infintty 1.5 2.5 0.45 //// 22 16 11 8 5.6 4 '3.2

Thank you!

45. "Is the lester dine ring flash any good for this kind of macro?"

Lester Dine has at least two version of flash made for this lens. I have both version. The older version shown on
    picture above allow 0-100% contineous manual flash adjustment (no auto flash). If you are OK with the size of the
    power modual. this version will work with all camera bodies. The newer 2nd version is smaller and
    uses AA batteries and is also dedicated to the body (Nikon, Canon, and etc). It has the older film sensor base TTL
    but has no manual control. You will need to choose one designed for your camera (ie Nikon) and body that support
    old film TTL (not iTTL) ie, film body, Fuji S2-Pro or one of those top of the line D3 :) If you don't have one of this
    type of body, the 2nd version's ring flash usefullness is limited. It does however have a thyresistor auto mode which
    work for the non-
    ring flash.

46. Some ring flashes only have the ring but not the point flash. How useful is the point flash, for macros or otherwise?
    I have a 8008s and Lester Dine 105/2.8. Aside from the mentioned Lester Dine ring flashes, are there other third party ones that will work well in my set up?

47. The RayFlash ring flash adapter and cheaper knockoff, the CoCo, might work as substitutes for a dedicated ring flash for macro photography. Both adapters fit over the head of some tilt-head hotshoe flash units. Check the manufacturers to be sure these adapters will fit your flash unit. As far as I can tell, both units use optical fiber to for a ring flash type effect from a more conventional hotshoe flash.

48. hello, first time here. Been attracted to the macro pictures. They are fantastic.
    Might I ask if the said Lester Dine macro lens be workable on a D3 camera? Any concerns?

49. It will work just fine with your D3...While it won't auto focus (of course) it will meter with your camera

50. I posted another reply to this thread re: ring flash, but it hasn't shown up....So I'll try this again... I have the Dine ring light (the battery powered model) as well as the lens (from my Father-in-Law, a retired Dentist)... To get the ring light to work on a digital camera, you need to set the cameral flash to manual in the menu as well as setting the flash unit to manual. Also, you will need to tape over the two small pins on the flash foot on the right side. Leave the center pin & the single pin on the left uncovered, failure to do so will result in the unit not firing. The reason for that is that the flash is a TTL unit & those two pins transmit info for TTL use where the camera is DTTL & the info it expects from those pins isn't the same, thus it won't trigger the flash. So, the ring light has to be used in manual mode (easy to do when shooting macro anyway)

51. Thanks Scott for the info. I have managed to get one from ebay and it is on its way.
    Can't wait to try it out. To be honest, I have already had so much fun learning the things that Arnab and so many others sharing here. Thanks for your generosity.

52. Yes, the later versions of the Kiron and Lester Dine 105 f/2.8 macro lenses (exact same lens) do have a built-in hood.
    [​IMG]
    00XwUL-316029584.jpg