Lenses for Leica R8/9 ?

Tamarkin in Chicago, PopFlash-Photo, you could also check with DAG (Don Goldberg) or Sherry Krauter, KEH (online). Here's a link to the Leica forum run by a former Leica exec with perhaps the most extensive discussions of R gear Leica Forum. When I owned R & Leicaflex bodies, I did most of my buying online, including the big auction site. On the short zoom side, there are few (Leica) choices, although there are some by other manufacturers - the best being the 35-70 Vario-Elmarit-R/2.8, but be prepared to shell out big bucks as it is highly sought after. The f/4 version is an excellent lens, but both it and the f/3.5 each have different drawbacks. Not sure how wide you want to go, so no recommendations here.

If the 35-70 f/4 (Don't get the f/3.5 - Made in Japan) is too short a range, then consider these two big pendulum swings:

The LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 21-35mm ASPH. ROM zoom, was a fantastic performer for me.

But because it was soooo expensive, I sold it and instead purchased a more modern, wider, weatherized and far cheaper zoom (Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM), it also has 'Image Stabilization' !

A 'stunning' performer that like the Leica zoom, mimics fixed focal length performance (No joke, they're both that good).

So because of this amazing performance achievement, one can now carry one fairly compact lens that covers easily FOUR of the most usable wide focal lengths...

The tele without a doubt (and still a relative bargain), is the Leica VARIO-ELMAR-R 80-200mm f/4

ROM zoom - a Mint condition unit will yield state of the art performance.

Where to buy? Ebay's buyer protection is hard to beat. Besides, most of the 'brick & mortar' stores utilize this venue. And as a result are forced to offer this buyer protection. So making the purchase local, over the counter & in person, may not provide this protection on pre-owned equipment, so first check their Ebay 'store'...

BTW: Leica 'R' lenses can be easily used on Canon EOS camera bodies (Film or Digital), but

Canon can't properly mount to a Leica R body. Both of course work beautifully with mirrorless digital bodies...

Edited by Gus Lazzari