Lens with 800e

pamela_wood1

I am going to Paris, Normandy, and Seville in a few weeks. I would like to take my 800e. I am with a group, so sometimes I have to grab the shot fast. I will be doing lots of night shots, hence the 800e over my 7100. I would like to take a fast wide angle for inside the churches, a zoom, and a prime that will fit in my pockets. I bought the 28-300 last yr. for this trip, but I am trading it in because it will not focus on either camera regardless of settings. In the past I used a 7000 with a 70-300 dx and a Tamron 10-24 3:5-4:5. I know I will need fast lens that are not heavy. Thanks

<p>With your decent ISO range you should be able to get wide angle interior shots even in dimly lit churches. I find with wide angles, that a slow shutter speed even without stabilisation is quite practical, exposure compensation can be negative to replicate gloom and a smaller aperture gives a better depth of field. Here is a shot I took using an non-stabilised Canon 17-40 at 24mm on to full frame with<br>

1/15th sec at f5.6 with ISO 1600 and exposure compensation -1 stop<br>

I find the same goes for night shots. So rather than think in terms of fast lenses I suggest you crank up the ISO setting. Have a great trip! </p><div>00djeg-560688784.jpg.89b9eafd56a713f6f44ec24498015d17.jpg</div>

<p>Pamela, I would definitely get a 35 or 50mm prime fast lens 2.0 or lower.<br>

With the 800e it is preferable for your shutter speed to be no lower<br>

than the size of your lens. Thus it will assist you in great handheld<br>

shots with lower iso's and smaller apertures.<br>

Have a Great Trip! I am Jealous (smile)...</p>

<p> </p>

In FX zoom lenses, the situation is similar to the old engineering saying. "Good, fast or light - you can have any two."

Good and light: 24-85 VR

Good and fast: any of the current model 24-70/2.8 lenses from the major companies

Fast and light: Tamron 28-75/2.8 (I've owned three and didn't love any of them until stopped down to f/4)

A compromise solution might be a 50 or 35 f/1.8G lens plus a 24-85 or a replacement 28-300.

Colin Carron, a beautiful shot. I know in the past I used the Tamron a lot in the churches and outside. But I used the zoom

to get shots far away when I could not get close. There was only a 1 yr warranty on the 28-300, my mistake. For 240 they

will fix it, just not sure if it is worth it, not knowing if it will work. I am not familiar with these others. Going to try to go look

this Saturday. I know what I want, just do not know which lens. I love the church photo. For a good shot with the wide

angle, what is the distance?

<p>Hi Pamela, thanks! Not quite sure what distance you are asking about. In the photo the church windows are about 50 metres away(165 feet). I focused about 10 metres away. Focal length used was 24mm. The depth of field of wide angle lenses is relatively large so the shot is pretty much all in focus even at f5.6.<br /> <br /> Wide angles are good for shots showing the overall architecture and less good for detail. If you want close up shots of architectural detail then a longer lens is needed such as your 28-300 (when working!). Here is an example of the sort of detail shot I mean, taken with a 70-300 lens used at 300mm to take a detail shot of a medieval carving high up in a church<br>

<br />Stabilisation (VR) is always useful when hand holding shots. It becomes much more useful with longer focal lengths. This shot would need either VR or a tripod. </p><div>00djsa-560718884.jpg.47316430d00c12496b7836cfff132efb.jpg</div>

<p>For travel purposes with my Nikon D800 I use my Nikon 24-120 f/4 lens over my 24-70 f/2.8. It has a great range for general travel, has VR, and is much lighter than the 24-70 mm lens . A good alternative for me to the 14-24 f/2.8 is the Nikon 20 mm f/1.8 lens. I also have taken my Nikon 70-200 f/4 lens with the 1.4 teleconverter.</p>

Since this is a huge investment, I have read comparisons and have come down to 2 I think. The Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 or the Nikon 24-70

f/2.8 (that does not have VR). And then Peter adds another one. I have not researched it yet. But opinions on the Tamron, which I am

leaning towards because of the lens stabilization and I can go wider. I am trying the Nikon 24-70. With the wider lens I remember it is

harder to keep unwanted clutter out of the shots, but great for when you want it all. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>I would never take my Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 on such a trip. Instead I take the Nikon 24-85mm, much smaller and lighter. And I always have a fast prime in my pocket like the Nikon 20mm f1.8. For Europe, I have found that a 20mm works better than a 24mm for me. But if your interest is in more details or a narrower field of view, then a 50mm f1.8 or 85mm f1.8 might be needed too. It all comes down to what kind of pictures you like to take. Sigma Art lenses are good choices too.<br>

Joe</p>

• 11 months later...
I have the same camera. I would take a wide angle prime, 20mm, 24mm or 35mm or 50mm. depending in which focal length you like best or would need the most. I would not take a heavy and large 24-70mm f2.8 as these can be too large for travel and "hiding" your camera under a rain jacket. Instead I would take the 24-85mm lens mentioned in a previous post. That is the lens I use when I travel with my D 800. I make sure I have a pocket sized tripod in my pocket, usually an "Ultrapod" and use it often inside of churches on church benches and similar places like bridge railings for night shots. It works best when the lens and camera on it and not huge and heavy. . To keep your costs down, consider getting a used Nikon manual focus wide angle prime if you do not want to spend $$ for the latest AF versions. They work just fine on my D 800.

My kit is a D800 + Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, Nikkor 24-120 f4 VR, Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikkor 50 f/1.4G and a Sigma 24 f/1.8. I tend to use the 24-120 the most followed by the 16-28 and 24. With the Sigma you can do 1:2.3 macro and I think wide angle macro is a lot of fun. Good luck with your trip.