Lens Upgrade from Sony A65

erictessmer

<p>I just purchased a Sony A65 with the standard kit lens, but am interested in upgrading to a better quality and longer range lens. I am considering either the Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6 SAM DT Telephoto Zoom Lens or the Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Compact Super Telephoto Zoom Lens. I have heard that Tamron also has good quality lenses at a reasonable price and seriously looking at the af 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 di ii vc ld. I am on a tight budget and would appreciate opinions on the above or any other options.<br />Thank you</p>

<p>The 18-270 lens is very convenient, going from wide angle to very telephoto, but it's not the sharpest lens and not good for taking advantage of the 24MP sensor. For telephoto, the Tamron 70-300mm USD (the version that's about $400) is a nice, sharp lens, and their 70-200mm lens is one of the best - though it's big, heavy and expensive.</p>

Sony 55-200 mm lens is reported to be better than 75-300 mm lens.

Avoid a zoom with very large zoom range as 18-270 mm for it would be full of compromises among sharpness, maximum available aperture cost, weight, and of course, zoom range.

<p>Thank you for all the helpful suggestions and I am leaning toward the Sony 55-200. The Sony 55-200 is great price and is the same price as the Tamron 55-200. Also, I heard that Sony has some type of lens registration to compensate out CA – any thoughts as to what value this adds?<br>

Thanks</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>Here is my current thinking: I want a decent zoom range (minimal 16mm – 80mm) and want the best quality I can get without breaking the bank. I am now considering the Sony DT 16-105mm or Sony DT Carl Zeiss 16mm-80mm, or Sony DT 18mm-250mm and maybe the Tamron 18mm-270mm. On the super-zoom side, although it is nice to have this utility, I am concerned about all the CA, Distortion, Vignetting, and overall degradation in sharpness/IQ and far ends of its reach. So the bottom line for me is compromise on the zoom for a better quality image. As far as speed f/3.5-5.6 is fine. Any help or opinions is much appreciated. </p>

• 3 weeks later...