Lens quality and low prices

graham_martin2

<p>Having recently acquired an RB67 Pro SD I am curious as to which lenses offer the best value. I currently own a 65mm f/4.5 Sekor, and the 127mm f/3.5 K/L. My original intent was just to stick with one or two lenses until I see just how much I use the gear. However, in looking on line at places like KEH, I see that the prices are very low for other focal lengths. For example, one can get a 180mm (older version) for $69.00 and a new K/L version for just $159.00. Similar low prices abound for other lenses.</p>

<p>My question is whether the prices are so low due to lack of demand, or are they not considered to be good quality glass? If the glass is good quality then are there particular focal lengths that are considered to be of better quality than others? I am primarily a Nikon DSLR shooter, and have a good knowledge of which pieces of Nikon glass are considered to deliver superior image quality. However, I do not have that same knowledge about Mamiya lenses.</p>

<p>Supply and demand determines used pricing. Before Pentax started shipping the 645D, used manual focus lenses were pretty reasonably priced, even from used resellers like KEH, Adorama, etc. Now, those same lenses have doubled in price.</p>

<p>There are reviews of a number of Mamiya lenses around, use google to find them. Most of their optics are pretty good.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>In medium format, (Mamiya's in particular), the 127/135mm to 210/250mm focal lengths are very flattering for portraiture, with the 150/180mm's being very popular. So much so, that 150/180mm's were produced in great numbers.</p>

<p>There were also soft focus versions produced, employing the use of diffusion disks to acheive varying degrees of softness, specifically for portraiture and still-life's. A 150mm SF for the RB line, and a 180mm SF in the RZ line. <br /> The lenses work as normal without the diffusion disks attached.<br /> The 180mm SF for the RZ is actually faster at f:4.0, whereas the standard 180mm is at f:4.5</p>

<p>Some people like the effect from these lenses with the disks installed. I can't say I am totally sold on their effect, but many are. I don't use the disks that often, but again, these lenses are sharp without the disks. For those that may like the soft focus effect, and also want a sharp lens, you can have your cake, and eat it, too.</p>

<p>Graham,<br>

Dude, you are one of the lucky few! Go for it, now! Get two of each if you are committed to film photography for the future.</p>

<p>The following Brand New Mamiya RB lenses are currently available at KEH, but are steadily disappearing from their stock:</p>

<p><strong>90mm KL</strong> with Floating Element Correction: $199 or $179 (The LN is actually an imported, brand new Mamiya RB lens). It retailed for about <strong>$1,900</strong> from B&H photo about ten years ago. It is excellent, sharp, built like a tank - like a Hasselblad lens but with a larger image circle.</p>

<p><strong>180 KL </strong>This is a Tessar design portrait lens that has subtle rendering of detail and is relatively lightweight, but excellently built. Use to sell also for about <strong>$1,800</strong> ten years ago. Excellent professional lens!</p>

<p><strong>127 KL </strong>This is my very favorite RZ/RB lens! Extremely sharp, excellent color, beautiful bokeh, Fully professional, Compact. If you have one. Buy a second! Used to go for <strong>$1,500.<br /><br /> </strong></p>

<p>Finally, there are three (3) BRAND NEW (listed as "LN", but are actually factory new in Box) Mamiya RB Pro SD 120 6x4.5 backs for ONLY $60 each! Buy two! These go perfectly with the 127KL focal length for portraiture. You will get 15 exposures of 6x4.5 on a 120 roll. These backs are wesome. I do not see them that often new on Ebay. they use to sell for <strong>$600</strong> each.</p>

<p>To answer your question in my experience for the Mamiya RB: , the 65KL, 127KL, 150 Soft Focus, and 210 APO lenses are special. BUT the 180 KL is PERFECT for portraiture because it's rendering of fine detail.</p>