lens for photo/video Montana Flyfishing

jeff_bogle

<p>Hello everyone, <br>

I am going on a week long photo shoot/fly fishing adventure in Montana in September and was thinking about renting the Nikon D600 along with the 24mm Nikkor prime lens to test (for possible future purchase). Thing is, I want to capture a lot of the action fly fishing via video as well. I've never used video on a DSLR and was wanting to know if anyone has a good recommendation for a quality piece of glass that will do a good job with both scenarios: Photography and Video. Due to a tight budget, I will only be able to rent one lens. Any advice will be helpful. <br>

PS. I would prefer to use a prime lens.<br>

Thanks, Jeff</p>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>I just started doing video with my D800, and I've been using my walk-about 24-85 3.5-4.5G VR. The lens has performed quite well rendering nice and sharp with good color. I would be leery of taking only a 24 on that trip. While Big Sky country beckons, if you're wanted the full effect, a 20mm or even 16mm will outshine in the "gathering information" department; not, however, optimal glass for camp pictures, whether moving or still.</p>

<p>BTW, Remember to take Big Sky memory cards. Video eats storage space.</p>

<p>This is not really a response to your question, but as a resident of Montana I say welcome! The aspen should be starting to turn... bright yellow against deep blue sky. What part of the state are you visiting? Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Paul</p>

www.paulwhitingphotography.com

<p>Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far. I appreciate it. Kent, to answer your question, like I posted earlier, due to a tight budget I can only rent one lens and since I will be doing far more photography then video, I generally use a prime. Paul, thanks for the invite! I will be in West Yellowstone, but will be venturing into Wyoming and Idaho as well to fish. Are external mics expensive to rent? What would be a quality one to use. Remember, I'm a novice in video so I probably wouldn't know the difference anyhow. Haha.</p>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>You might try Radio Shack. They should have one that's reasonable and would work for you. I know these are not considered professional mics but they'd do the job. Then the question becomes whether you should get a handheld or tietack... or even wireless. Wireless would be more expensive. I'd suggest a simple handheld, would work fine for interviews. If you're just catching video of scenery, the camera mic would be ok if you're careful to avoid too much handling noise. That way you'd pick up some ambient noise such as wind, rushing water, birds...</p>

<p>Bring your camera when you shop, and a headset would help check the sound.</p>

<p>Just my 0.02,</p>

<p>Have a good trip!</p>

www.paulwhitingphotography.com