Lens for College photojournalist

bsxphoto

<p>Hi everyone,<br>

After taking a year off photography for my studies (I'm doing premed and boy is it rough), I realized how much I missed photojournalism so I applied, and got accepted, onto my campus newspaper staff as a part time photographer. Now I'm trying to put together some newer gear.<br>

Currently I have:<br>

85mm 1.8<br>

50mm 1.8<br>

18-55 kit lens non-is<br>

20D with battery grip and tons of batteries<br>

When I shot in highschool I always used my 85 and 50 primes and my 18-55 in a pinch. I guess now I'm trying to decide the next lens I should buy. I was thinking of getting the Tamron 17-50 VC 2.8 to use as a new general lens or get something more telephoto than 85 mm. The photo editor said that the paper has 70-200's and 16-35's L series that I can borrow for sports and/or special events, but he is encouraging me to have my own lenses just in case something happens where I need to be ready to shoot instantly. Any suggestions? I also heard there is a sigma 17-50 OS? is that any good? I was thinking of getting the Cannon 17-55 is but I am a college student afterall, so that is slightly out of my price range.</p>

<p>You've got some pretty good versatility with the lenses you already have. Can't see much benefit in getting a 17-50mm when you've already got an 18-55mm, aside from a bigger aperture for lower light situations. I'd opt for a 70-200mm and possibly an extender if you'll occasionally be shooting sports. Also good if you're not going to be right up in a subject's face like James Nachtwey.</p>

<p>The 18-55 IS is reputed to be significantly superior to the 18-55 non-IS - and not just for the obvious reason that it has IS. Yet second hand prices for these lens are nearly the same, so upgrading can be almost free, and should be a no-brainer. In addition I'd like to have something longer on my own. Why not start with a 55-250 IS. You can compare it to the school's 70-200 and upgrade later, if required.</p>

<p>If you don't already own one, pick up an external flash, something with ETTL capability. Shop used or refurbished to save money. For now, borrow the schools lens' for sports, I can't see any reason you'd need to purchase an L series lens to cover sports "just in case you need to be ready to shoot instantly". Having a decent quality "go to" WA zoom (18-55IS) with a wider opening will be much more beneficial than fumbling with fixed FL's when things are happening fast (been there done that). The 85 1.8 is a nice lens, a bit long for some work on a cropped body but still a keeper for low light candids etc.<br>

All the best, Randall</p>

<p>I have to put in my requisite plug for the 17-85 IS. The versatility is great and the quality not so bad. You can probably pick up one used or refurbished for under $400. The lens is slower (f/4-5.6) but it has a USM and is plenty sharp. The only "problems" I have are barrel distortion at 17mm and some CA's, both of which I fix in Lightroom. -Ed.</p>

<p>Save yourself a little money and get the non VC version of the Tamron 17-50mm. It is lighter and sharper and you won't need the VC with the short focal length. I believe you can cover most events with just two lenses, the 17-50mm zoom and the 85mm 1.8. A good flash and a back up body are probably needed soon down the road. Good luck!</p>