Lens Designers Spill the Beans

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by marc_bergman|1, Jan 31, 2018.

1. In their January 1968 issue Modern Photography republishes this round-table discussion captured originally by Asahi Camera magazine. It features lens designers from Canon, Konica, and Nikon.

Spill the Beans 1 sm 2

2. So what is happening with silver prices and will that affect the price of film?

Silver Prices 1 sm 2

3. Bennett Sherman looks at metal tele mirror lenses.

TT 1 sm 2

4. Patricia Caulfield busts the myth of the invisible photographer.

Caulfield 1 sm 2

5. Here is this month's Too Hot to Handle column.

THTH 1 sm 2

SCL likes this.
  6. Here are this month's Modern Tests.

MT 1 sm 2

7. Let's switch over to US Camera magazine where they look at the new Yashica 12 TLR.

Yashica 12 1 sm 2

8. The FOTO Facts column looks at the problems of being a left-handed photographer.

Foto Facts 1 sm 2

9. Interesting, as always. I wonder what became of the all metal mirrors?

10. Thanks for posting these, Marc. Keppler's piece is timeless - a philosophy for buying a camera. I always enjoy the THTH crispness and style.

The conversation of the Japanese lens designers is a gem for those interested on the history of lens technology. There is excellent advice in the Caulfield column, and I liked the review of the Yashica 12 because I bought one for a friend some time ago.

In the ads, Exakta was still fighting but already well below the price of average Japanese SLRs.

11. It's entertaining reading these, and I see your flickr page is THE place to go for this! I remember reading these when I was a kid. I read every page, even the ads, and I would imagine doing even the things I didn't understand or would never want to do. The nice thing about now and Ebay is that I can live out some of those fantasies for pennies on the dollar. :)

12. much thanks

love Keppler, but don't try this comment on cheap lenses on your partner:
    Keppler on cheap lenses 1968-01 MP.jpg :)

The times they are a'changing!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018