Leitz Valoy II Enlarger

richard jepsen

For small size and portability reasons I'm considering exchanging my 1C for a

Valoy II enlarger. Are newton rings more an issue on the Valoy II vs the 1C?

Aren't newton rings more likely in dry humidity???

Do you need a lens extention to make enlargements smaller than 5x7?? If you do

need a lens extender for the Valoy II what is the part number?

Does anyone have any comments on their experience using the Valoy II vs other

enlargers such as the 1C.

Ring problem is exactly the same with either machine. They are more likely in humid conditions. I modified the hold down for the condenser to get enough room to fit the N "filter".

Space betweem lens and column foot is less than with a 1C making larger prints difficult. Not enough space for the easle. I built an extension to move the head out further.

Valoys need the short neck bulb which is near impossible to find. Grey head 1c machines have a filter drawer and can use common ph 111.

Black head 1C only take short neck bulbs.

I believe you need the short ext tube for small prints.

Does the grey Valoy II have the red leitz logo. There was a mint grey Valoy II which sold on E-bay 18 Feb that did not seem to have a filter tray. Having a tray is a positive. The problem with the easel is similar to what we experience with B-22s at the local community darkroom and is a bummer. However, most of my small format prints are 5x7.

I have an extension ring for the focotar 50mm lens. It's number is 17675. Not sure if

it would work on the Valoy with your particular lens. Both the lens and the extension

ring (both near mint condition) are now surplus to my needs, as my Ic has a faulty

bellows and I have been using another enlarger. Let me know if you are interested in

either or both of these (lens and/or extension ring).