Leica S2

mike_minogue

<p>I may be showing my ignorance here, but I must confess I'm a little bit dismayed with Leica in relation to the official rollout of the S2 and associated lenses. Why?<br>

Because it's my understanding -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- that Leica announced the S2 in 2008. And yet here it is 2011 and after contacting B&H Photo, it's still not possible to get the S2 with the 35mm lens (announced at the same time as the S2 body).<br>

Furthermore, B&H didn't know when a regular supply of 35mm S2 lenses would be available. I could be put on a waiting list, but I was told it would take months.<br>

I'm not 100% ready to buy, but I'm getting close and I wanted to inquire nonetheless.<br>

Why is it taking Leica so long?<br>

Additionally, during the same 2008 announcement—and currently on the S2 website—Leica stated that they were going to be coming out with additional lenses, including an ultra-wide (which is what I want the most). Yet, here we are in 2011 and we still have no announcement of any additional lenses (other than the standard 4 that were originally announced in 2008).<br>

Again, why is it taking Leica so long?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would imagine that the problem is mainly with the slow R&D-cycle, small-volume, high-risk, uber-picky modern MF market itself. Why did Contax 645 shooters have to wait in vain for additional lenses that never materialised? Why did Hy6/AFi users have to wait so long for the promised 6x6 film back? Why did PhaseOne back users have to wait so long for a decent LCD screen? Why did it take Pentax 3 or 4 years longer than anyone expected to put out an actual production 645D?</p>

<p>I don't know how good Leica's track record is as regards meeting promises for their other format cameras, but in medium format, they are not alone in stringing-along hopes and frustrating expectations, by any means!</p>

<p>I can't imagine in view of how much the other lenses for the Leica S2 system cost how much a 35mm extreme wide angle lens would cost but not only I couldn't afford one but I don't know in a recession anyone who could, or what the Worldwide market would be for them would be, I should think very little in view of the research, development, and manufacturing costs involved.</p>

<p>I would not invest in a camera system that had only 4 lenses, especially at that cost! I could not see any available lenses for this camera. Is there even <strong>one</strong> available?</p>

<p>In the same price range/quality range you can consider the Hasselblad H4D-40, or a used 50.</p>

<p>In fact I would hold on to your money until the Canon 1DsIV arrives. Matched up with a 17 TS-E, some patience, and knowledge of software, you can come up with some stitched images that could easily compete with an H4D-50.</p>

<p>Mike, Leica has (or had) problems in supplying their M9 rangefinder and many lenses. That may be cutting into the S2 and lens supply. It is a a relatively small company with many dealers in many countries. Also does another DSLR in MF provide a good enough sales niche, equivalent to the RF Leica M9? Leica may be too late with their product in that case. Like others, I could probably not afford the S2 and its complement of lenses, and therefore might consider the Mamiya ZD, or the Pentax 645D, which, apart from the lack of live view, has received nice reports and is considerably less expensive than an S2. I guess the larger pixel size is the main reason for MF digital rather than 35mm full frame digital, but I would imagine that for most purposes, any one of the MF digital devices would probably more than exceed my needs.</p>

<p>I'd go for a PhaseOne because this fantastic camera features exchangeable digital backs. Great software comes with it, constant sensor updates and even 'trade-in-offers' for your 'old' back.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you'll never be able to get another sensor or back for the Leica S2 - as soon as it will be available in quantities it'll be obsolete (might take some more years...)</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>Mike,<br>

The short answer is they are all in China: no shortage of Leica M and S equipment here but all at very high prices. I have seen 35mm S lenses filling a shelf in a dealer here in Beijing a couple of weeks ago but not being in the market for them did not inquire about the price. I've seen M9s sell here for as much as 90,000 renminbi for a new official import. That's just shy of USD14,000 and that's why Leica equipment is heading to China rather than traditional markets. Luminous Landscape had an article wondering about where all the good photo equipment has gone over the last year or so without considering this factor and it's the same story for cars and who knows what else.</p>

China is big, but the rest of the world is even bigger. So it's not the explanation. If the thing is rare in the "traditional markets", it's because something's wrong.<br><br>And it's not hard to see what. The concept of the S2 is flawed. A midsize camera (neither 35 mm nor MF), with non-interchangeable sensor (given the rapid succession of new sensors, a rather silly thing for such an expensive camera), requiring all new lenses. And all that (as anything bearing the name Leica) for way too much money.<br>They tried to carve a new niche in the market, but that obviously didn't work.