Leica Historical Prices

Don't know of a link but from the Wallace Heaton Blue Books (prices in pounds, shillings and pence)...

1965: M3 134-17-6. M2 116-1-8.

1966: M3 142-0-10. M2 124-11-0.

1968: M4 169-8-8

During this period a typical weekly wage would have been from 10-25 pounds per week.

Not quite all...LOL, but I have some old catalogs. Here's a start: When the M4 was released it was the same price as the M3 - $288.00. The M2 was $200 without a self timer, $249 with one. Used screw mount Leicavits were around $25 but you'd pay double that for a used M 'vit. Used screw to bayonet adapters varied from $1 for Japanese ones of unknown make to maybe $5 for a really clean Leitz one.

The Leica M2-R, now worth a king's ransom, sold for a list price of $375.00 complete with a D.R. Summicron, which Leitz was trying to get rid off. Ahh, when I think of the money I spent back then on women, 8-tracks and smokin' dope. And here I coulda been a millionaire Leica collector! But crap, man, that was "old technology" junk. The young guys were all buying SLR's, the wave of the future!

Let me know what exactly you want a price on and I'll see what I can dig up.

My 69 catalog shows:

M4 body $309.00

M4 body black finish $339.00

MDa body std baseplate $216.00

MDa body specl baseplate $229.00

Leicaflex SL body $483.00

Leicaflex SL body black finish $516.00

Leicaflex SL/MOT body black finish $591.00

Al. . . "And here I coulda been a millionaire Leica collector!" How do you know history is not repeating itself with the (now) $2800 lenses and everyone climbing over each other to buy the latest digital camera? In 20 years, $5,000? $8,000 for the 50mm Summilux ASPH? And I suppose if history repeats itself, you are still spending to much money on dames and "such."

Larry, we ain't gotta clue in hell what'll be collectible in 25 or 50 years or when prices will nose dive. Fifteen or so years ago I could have sold all those boyhood comic books my mom tossed and retired. Today it's hard to find a comic book store. "Tech Stock" was the investment buzz word ten years ago and houses languished unsold. Now real estate property values are soaring. If I'd had a crystal ball back then I wouldn't have bought Leica III-A bodies at $29.50 each, or III-C bodies at $36.50 either. Nope. I would have gone around to all the dealers that couldn't sell "those cheap Japanese Leica copies", Niccas and Towers (a Sears Roebuck branded Nicca)for $10 each, and offered to buy them all for $5 or $6. I suspect that most of those "worthless" cameras got trashed to make way for The Great SLR Revolution on store shelves. Check Nicca prices today...LOL