Leica announce new 'budget' lens line

paul t

Leica have announced a new, budget range of Summarit lenses: 35mm, 50mm, 75mm and 90mm, all at f/

2.5. All made in Germany, circa 1000 Euro inc VAT. With old-skool engraving, too...

<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.photoscala.de/

&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DNeue%2Bpreiswerte%2BObjektivlinie%

2Bf%25C3%25BCr%2Bdie%2BM-Leicas%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den">Google translation

here. </a>

I guess the meaning of "budget" is different in Europe?

"...There is to be the focal lengths 35, 75 and 90 mm for 1250 euro, the 50-mm-Summarit is to cost 1000 euro..."

That's $1350 for the 50mm, $1700 for the others, not exactly the sort of thing you'll find at the local Walmart.

These might also be sold as "kit" lenses for new bodies to come...maybe a body line that parallels the new lenses v.s. current offerings, excellent but more affordable to larger number of those with an interest in rangefinder photography and the Leica camera.

I'd certainly take a look at the 50...and 75, I'm getting to like the results of using 50mm on a D200.

Hopefully,the term "budget" is only reflected in the pricing when compared to the faster lenses. In similar fashion that the Elmarit are "budget priced" when compared to their faster Summicron partners, which, likewise, are "budget" when compared to the Summilux equivalents.

It would be a very sad day if Leica started producing a "lower quality lens" in it's M (or R) mounts. I.e. lacking the precision and engineering manufacter that has been synonymous with Leitz/Leica since its origins. I don't see it happening.

Just how much difference are we likely to see between the new 75/2.5 Leitz and say the C/V 75/2.5? I mean this in all seriousness. I am sure the Leica offering will have better construction, but ...Maybe I do not pixel peep enough or am too occupied with shooting but I see only minor differences between my non Leitz lenses, albeit older models, cron and elmarit, and CV and Zeiss lenses as far as print resolution from a M8. I know this could boil down to my specific lens selections and copies. I still see a significant difference in suggested cost of the newer Leica models and other brands. I use CS2 and a 7600 printer. I guess I am asking why I should spend the difference between a 3-400 dollar lens and one that still costs a grand more? I realize in some ways this is pure speculation and only playing devils advocate here as these new Leica lenses are not yet released, right? Thanks, really not trying to be ornery or argumentative.

Donald, hopefully build quality would be a lot better than CV's.

I'm impressed by my CV optics, but CV build standard is far lower quality than that of all manual focus Nikon/Canon/Leica slr and rfdr lenses of yesteryear. I don't think CV lenses, in regular use, will age as well mechanically.

Chinese page on them gives close focusing distances, 0.8m, 0.8m, 0.9m, and 1m respectively for 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, and 90mm. So another economy has been made by making the focusing helicals a little shorter, not going all the way to 0.7m. Makes a lot of sense to me, rangefinders just don't make great close-up cameras.