LCD vs. CRT color and contrast...

majumder

I just realized today, after seeing my photo posts at a friends place

that the pictures I've been uploading are extremely dark and dull on

standard CRT monitors. I'm using a Dell 17" LCD on factory default

settings (brightness/contrast).

If I adjust the photos for standard monitors, then a) I'll be

tampering with the brigtness and contrast of the pictures and b) I'll

have to do it on guesswork, since I don't have a standard CRT.

Does anyone else face the same problem? Any solutions/suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

M. A. Majumder<div>00EnQF-27416284.thumb.jpg.21dd9d2cee1c44be2dbdc6f9fa02ce36.jpg</div>

LCD monitors are brighter than CRTs. For posting here, I suggest comparing your photos to others in the TRPs for brightness and contrast. I typically use a very bright LCD screen and push a little less than I would based on my own eye as a result. Once posted, I often compare to others I have posted and revise, replace accordingly.

We're painting with a very broad brush here. My experience with looking at my images on an average LCD is that they're very contrasty with loss of detail. On a calibrated CRT monitor like mine they look more acceptable, but the quality level of both CRTs and LCDs plays a major role in how you will end up "seeing" your image. Another factor is how you are processing your image. A good article on these issues is set forth in the January issue of "Professional Photographer" magazine. www.professionalphotographer.co.uk

Steve, My experience has been just the opposite of yours. Despite calibration, I couldn't get my LCD where I wanted it. I reverted to my ancient Viewsonic CRT. With the LCD, even after calibration, I couldn't see the detail in the shadows that I knew was there. (Note, my LCD is a 19inch Dell Ultrasharp, CRT is a Viewsonic 17inch PS790)

John, thanks for the link! I'll check that out. I know my CRT is nearing the end of it's useful life. I'll need to make some monitor decisions soon.

"Steve, My experience has been just the opposite of yours."

That's interesting. Around the office, I've calibrated quite a few CRTs and LCDs - the CRTs running from very inexpensive to modestly expensive, whereas most of the LCDs are relatively cheap - yet the LCDs, once calibrated, have always shown more detail in the shadows.

Myself, I don't bother adjusting for "standard monitors", because non-calibrated monitors vary so much. If I want to make sure that they'll look decent on a CRT, I just give the very lowest shadows a small boost in curves.

steve

Mohammed, would it happen to be a Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT? I recently turned down a good deal on one after reading online user reviews concerned with that model's brightness, such as "the brightness can not be turned down enough to calibrate", and "it's like staring into a 300-watt light bulb".