LCD Monitor RANT

I have a Samsung 226BW (Bought last year.) that I calibrate with a Spyder2PRO.

I do have an "S" panel that is supposedly the better one.

My annoyance is its uneven brightness.

Calibrated or not, it is very difficult to work on any photo's when the top of

the monitor is darker than the bottom.

Not to mention that the viewing angle is not so great.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on possible replacing this monitor with

something that is half decent without breaking the bank.

I could send mine out for repair once I get a new one.

I have a real old 20" LCD that doesn't have this problem, but lacks brightness

and pixel size is too big.

Thanks all...

-Mario

That's not something that can be repaired - it's the nature of the technology. Only the much more expensive LCD displays have a wider (decent) angle of view and even brightness. There are newer display technologies coming (OLEDs, and others) that will shake this up a bit. But for now, a <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLaCie-324-24-LCD-Monitor%2Fdp%2FB0012LH52C%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Delectronics%26qid%3D1207247722%26sr%3D8-2&tag=uplandlife-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325" target="_blank"><b>photographer-friendly flat panel display</b></a> is still a $1000 proposition. But you can really tell the difference. Wider gamut, even display, etc. As well it SHOULD for that sort of money.

Usually LCD screens are bright at the top and bottom and a little darker in the middle. Most LCD screens use two very thin fluorescent tubes, top and bottom, to light the screen. It is quite common to have these tubes fail and either flicker occasionally or turn off entirely. My guess it that your top light has failed. You should check to see if you can return the screen for warentee.

How can you not like the 226? I just bought the same monitor and simply love it. It only bleeds a bit in the bottom, something which isn't even notable unless you're watching a pitch black screen. Oh well, maybe I'm lucky or blind.

If you want monitors for photo/graphical use, <a href="http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp">Eizo ColorEdge</a> is the way to go.

I second the NEC 90 Series with the i in their product name to identify IPS panel technology. I recommend against LaCie as their monitors are rebranded NEC models and are often higher priced then NEC's. In my opinion, NEC and Eizo are the top two for color critical applications and Eizo is way more expensive than NEC for what appear to be comparible monitors.

definitely tough at this point to get something reasonable. Although, surprisingly, the best LCD i've come across is my new Dell XPS 1710 laptop with a 17" 1920 x 1200 resolution screen.... it blows away my ViewSonic P220f i have at work easily in both color and resolution.

It's a $2800 laptop, but it's quite nice to work on (thankfully, it's a company machine becuase i sure couldn't afford it otherwise.)

If you can find a good deal on one, look into the Westinghouse L2410NM. It's the cheapest

24" LCD monitor that provides true 8-bit color. There is no light bleeding, the colors gamut

looks great when calibrated, and the viewing angle is so much better than any of the TN

panels like the 226BW. All this and I got it for half price on boxing day ($300 instead of

$600).