layers

short1

I realize that this is a really simplistic question, but likely requires a fairly extensive explanation. I've admitted that I'm

new to the digital photography field, but I've been reluctant to ask about this issue...it seems so basic, but despite

my efforts to understand it in print, I just can't seem to make the software work properly. So: What are layers, how

and wht does one use them. I rellize they are a powerful means of overlaying shadow and light - or another image -

upon a capture in a non-destructive way...but I just can't seem to get it right...and I mean I can't even initiate the

process. I checked the educational materials , but didn't see ( and may have missed ) an article on this. If this

requires a too prolonged reply, could someone point me in the direction of a very basic article, you know, "layers for

idiots". Thanks. ( BTW, I'm using Corel X2 at present - the upgraded Jasc product, Photo Studio Pro).

Craig

Don't worry.

I was in a similar position to yourself a while ago and I'm a bit better now but still with a long way to go. There are others who will explain it better than I can or point you to a source of knowledge.

One important point is that using layers isn't compulsory. You don't have to use them - although as you get more familiar with the features of the programme you will come to a point where you will start to use layers from need rather than just because other users are always going on about them.

layers are adjustments you make to an image and by having them on a seperate layer the original image is perserved. Big advantage to a layer is that you can add a mask on that layer and make local adjustments to different parts of the image that need it. This probably is still confusing so I have added a link to a site that has video tutorials on what they are and how to use them. I see that you use mostly image editing programs like Corel, Jasc, etc. I would suggest if you really want to learn how to get the most of your images to learn Photoshop. It will seem very complicated at first, but with practice you will learn it. There is a lot of free info out there on photoshop and here is a great place to start.

http://www.radiantvista.com/tutorials

Thank you all for your helpful advise.And John, I do appreciate the moral support...I'm not alone in this digital quagmire. Ron, as Eric notes, I don't own Photoshop, which I realize is an industry standard, but as I'm an amateur, I'm loathe to make the investment in such expensive software until I can manage the more primitive and ( supposedly) more user-friendly programs. And Eric, I hear you, but I have a low tolerance for excesively complex programs. If you've read my bio, that may surprise you, but the problem is that I'm so obsessive, that I want to know everything about the program, and become an immediate expert. From all I've heard, that's not a realistic attitude towards Photoshop...on the other hand, I do want to optimize my images, so I guess that, when I unlock my wallet to buy it, I'll just have to throttle back a bit. Ken and Eric, thaks so much for URL's - I'll most definitely take advantage of them. To all, thanks for your help....you're the sort of members who will extend themselves for others, and make it worthwhile to join PN. Again, thanks all.

Think of layers as transparencies (overhead projector type). The bottom layer is your background- lets say it is a picture. Now you want to change the overall color cast of your picture without screwing around with your original picture. On your projector, you lay a slightly transparent yellow piece of plastic over your image. Now the projected image has a yellow cast to it. Lets say you want to write your name at the bottom, again without ruining your original image (for instance, you might spell it wrong- oops!). So you write your name on a completely transparent piece of plastic, layer it over the yellow piece, and voila- your name is on the projected image.

On your projector you have: your original image, then a yellow piece of clear plastic, then a clear piece of plastic with your name written on it, but all your audiance sees looking at the projected image, is the sum of all the parts.

You can translate this to layers in a computer program (I'm familiar with photoshop). When you open your image (like your original image in the above example), it becaomes the 'background' layer. You can create a new layer and make it give the image a yellow cast. This is just like laying the yellow transparency on the projector. It doesn't effect the original image, but it still shows up. Now you can add a text layer and type out your name. You now have 3 layers- just like the overhead projector.

Lets say you don't want it to be yellow anymore. From the projector, all you do is slide out that yellow sheet and toss it to the side. All you do with layer in your program is drag that layer away and toss it in the garbage. You're now back to your undisturbed original image in both the transparency example and in the program.

That is the basics of what a layer is.

Why we like them so will become evident the more you use them and discover the freedom and creativity you can control by using them. This is where books come in handy, along with on-line tutorials and just plain ol' playing around.

Good Luck!

I'm not familiar with the programs you are using, but you can look into Photoshop Elements instead of making the huge plunge into a rather expensive program like Photoshop CS3 (which I use daily at my job as a retoucher). I've just recently started guiding my mother through the transition into digital photography and I'm teaching her to use Photoshop Elements. I was happily surprised at what that program offers- including layers and the basic tools any serious amateur would want to use. It is definitely worth looking into in my opinion.