Last of the Budget Film EOS SLR's

<p>IIRC, the EOS Rebel K2 was end of the line for the budget EOS SLR's. I think the Rebel Ti might have been made a bit longer, but it was about $100 more than the Rebel K2. The Rebel K2, like many other budget SLR's was sold in kit form with a low cost wide-to-short tele zoom. The Rebel K2 came with a 28-90 f3.5-5.6. For these photos, I chose to use my EOS 50mm f1.8. The film was Legacy Pro 400 (aka Fuji Neopan 400) processed in HC110 dilution B and scanned with an Epson V600.</p><div>00YpnN-365635584.JPG.d4563ebaa414d2c601ef1593edf0d320.JPG</div>

<p>The K2, like a few other late film SLR's has a large rear LCD that provides pertinent data. The panel is large enough that at first glance the camera might be mistaken for a digital model. The K2 with the 50mm lens is especially light and compact.</p><div>00YpnQ-365637584.jpg.3917268443a82824b41ba417705bd4f1.jpg</div>

<p>I will be working at Mississippi State University for the next two weeks teaching chemistry lab at a teacher workshop so while I was preparing this week I had time to grab a few shots around campus. The Legacy Pro 400 is nice film, but appears to have a bit more grain than Tri-X (at least to my scanner).</p><div>00YpnU-365639584.jpg.5175d15003ac6c025425c9e2b457c463.jpg</div>

<p>Back in West Point I found a few more subjects. During Sunday morning worship services my youngest son was recruited to serve as crucifer. I was in the balcony operating the sound board so I had a good vantage point for a photo. I used program setting so lens was probably at a fairly wide aperture.</p><div>00YpnZ-365647584.jpg.9cd80db3cd8fa52ea22c79e50ce60c5a.jpg</div>

<p>Plenty of railroad crossings in my town. When West Point was founded in 1858, it was built around two railway lines that picked up freight from the nearby Tombigbee River. In the late 1800's the two railroads would sometimes shunt cars on Sunday evenings. Night time church goers sometimes crawled under parked freight cars (in Sunday best) to avoid being late for church.</p><div>00Ypnb-365649584.jpg.742faa8daf1fe7cee5f74c95134f32a4.jpg</div>

<p>Nice quality shots, Mike. Your chirch service shot works well.. I still have the EOS 300V (Rebel Ti) which was one of the last of the film EOS cameras. I found it to be a real pleasure to shoot with. It was smaller and lighter than its digital counterparts and fitted well into the hand.</p>

<p>Good shots Mike. I like the railroad crossing. I recently got a EOS 650 in great condition with 35-80 lens. I am on the look out for that 50mm f1.8 lens. But it costs way too much than the outfit that I just got.</p>

<p>I like your pictures very much.</p>

<p>When you can buy an EOS 3 or EOS 1 model for not much more than $100, and the older film EOS cameras for tens of dollars, it's not surprising that production of new film models "slowed".</p>

<p>The catch, as Sadanand has found out, is that the lenses are all more or less current, so bargains are not to be founnd there.</p>

<p>However, with inexpensive adapters, all older Nikkor MF lenses and Pentax/Praktica M42 lenses, etc. are good options if you don't mind the manual part.</p>

<p>Very nice Mike. I like the smooth tonality in the Neopan film. A few times I was tempted to get one of those tiny EOS film camera bodies for travel. A question, are those lab fume vents constructed like that for the same reason drain pipes have a J-trap inside houses? </p>

<p>Neopan 400/Legacy Pro is nice stuff, but it develops_quick_ for a bit less grain, you can either go for a great dilution like 1:63, or less agitation - i process in a JOBO, so got for great dilution, and it seems to do okay. Great shots- and while i really prefer having two control wheels, the light weight and small size of the rebels is attractive.</p>

<p>Thanks, David. The "J" bend allows the vents to be moved by the attached framework. <br>

Sadanand- When my family owned a camera shop we sold EOS as one of our brands. As I recall the EOS 650 kit with the 35-80 was a big seller. The 35-80 is probably the lightest lens made for the EOS, but even adding a 50mm f1.8 won't make it excessively heavy.<br>

Thanks, JDM. I haven't really considered any M42 adapters for EOS since I already have M42 adapters to fit Minolta MC and Pentax K. Also, I do have a Nikon FE2 so I'm set if I find any AE Nikkors that I like. I don't mind manual focus if the focusing screen is bright enough. And yes, not a lot of bargains among EOS primes. About the only bargains are the kit lenses, which are not bad if you stop 'em down a bit. Although not the subject of my original post, my favorite lens to use with the K2 is my Tamron 19-35 f3.5-4.5. I may have to give it a little exercise now.<br>

Thanks, Robert. But wouldn't increasing dilution with more time give more grain? I know, for example, the solvent action of Microdol-X stock is reduced when it is diluted 1:3 making the grain more noticible.</p>

<p>Great tonality, <strong>Mike</strong>, and as sharp as one would expect from the Plastic Fantastic. The interior of the church is particularly impressive. With all the re-branding of historic emulsions it's hard to know just where one is with consistency, or change. At least my old favourite Adox emulsions seem pretty much the same under the Efke banner. Thanks for an interesting and informative post.</p>

<p>Thanks, Rick. BTW, the first Canon 50mm f1.8 lenses did have a metal lens mount, but the later ones have the plastic mount. Optically, the lens is the same as the first version. The Legacy Pro films are the real bargain now with short or slightly outdated film selling for as low as 24 USD for the ISO 100 version in 100' bulk. Even the 24 exp. and 36 exp. rolls are a bargain. The other deal, that has been discussed in another thread is the Ilford HP+ twin pack of 36 exp. that is actually cheaper than buying it in 100' bulk rolls.</p>