patric_dahl_n

Does anyone use Laser rangefinders to measure the distance for

setting the focus on cameras without rangefinders? There are some

handy Laser rangefinders on the market.

But are they safe to use? For example measuring on a person or an

animal? Can the laser beam be dangerous? Especially if the laser

beam hits the eyes?

Just curios.

I saw an uncomplicated laser rangefinder model, with the list price �56. It use to sell for around �35 on eBay.

I haven't heard of anyone using these instruments for photography, but I thought this might be a good alternative to the old optical rangefinders that often suffer from misalignment.

The laser is weak, class 2, so it won't harm eyes or skin.

I agree with much of what has been said above. Laser rangefinders are mostly used at significant distances for golf and hunting (e.g. the Leica and Nikon finders). The only rangefinder lens I can think of off hand that might benefit from one of these finders is the 210mm lens for Mamiya 7 cameras, which has a minimum focus distance of 23 feet.

If I needed a rangefinder, I'd look on eBay for an optical one. Leica shoe mount rangefinders sell for $20 up in good condition. See also:

Blik Rangefinder For Smena and other cameras Item number: 2945961852- Buy It Now $12

Medis Rangefinder ideal for your Leica ...NR Item number: 2946544816- Starting Price $12

The Contax G2 35mm 'rangefinder' camera uses an infrared laser diode system (as well as a phase-contrast visible light system) to measure distances and has a distance readout on the top plate. It reads in meters from 15 meters down to 10 meters, .1 meter increments down to 2 meters, and .01 meter increments from 2 meters down to the minimum focus distance (.5 meter).

The infrared diode used (don't know if it's technically a laser) seems low-powered and thus as safe as those used in some point-and-shoot cameras - and works invisibly even in total darkness.

The distance readout functions even without a lens mounted, and used G2 bodies are down to around $400 - same price as some decent laser RFs.

Personally, I just estimate distances visually when working with, e.g., a Biogon or other scale-focused lens.

• 2 years later...

Reasons for preferring traditional optical rangefinders:

1 - They measure nearer distances.

2 - They cost a few dollars/euros/pounds on eBay, not a hundred or two.

3 - You can select the object in the finder without having to project a red dot on it, which, as mentioned above, can be frightening, and might render you suspect.

4 - If you're photographing a person, you probably want to focus on the eyes, and you probably don't want to take the slightest risk of damaging anyone's sight with a laser beam.

5 - An optical rangefinder is tiny, so it doesn't intimidate the subject.

6 - Many rangefinders can be fitted directly on to the camera's hot shoe.

Two years ago, when the majority of this thread was posted, I could agree with Ken regarding how much you get for your money from an optical rangefinder versus a laser rangefinder, but a few months ago, Stanley started shipping the TLM 100 (the "Stanley FatMaxᆴ TruLaserル TLM 100 Distance Measurer"), manufactured by Leica Geosystems in Austria.

This unit is accurate to within 1/4 of an inch, from only two feet to about 60 feet (my experience, in bright sunlight), is small (4 3/4" x 2 1/2" x 1 1/4"), light, comes with a nice codura nylon belt loop holster, and is currently available for only $95.00 with free shipping at the place where I bought mine:

http://laserstreet.com/stanley-tlm100.htm

It does not have an optical viewfinder or even a peep sight. You simply press a big red button once, to turn on the laser, position the rectangular red dot wherever you need it in the subject space, then press the red button again to read the distance in your choice of meters, feet or inches. It's so much more accurate and easier to use than an optical rangefinder, at $95.00, it's the clear winner in my opinion (except for portraiture, perhaps, as mentioned earlier).

Mike Davis

Mike the Stanley/CST pro model has a peep site, costs 3 to 4 times more, and goes to about 650 feet to 1/8 inch accuracy, it has a 1/4-20 tripod socket too.. The low cost 100 model is speced to 100 feet. Mine seems to go to 105 feet, it seems the be software limited to not read past much 100 feet, with the tests I have run on mine. There is also an intermediate model 200 too. These three units were released Nov 1st, they are built in Austria. CST worked with Leica's disto design group to bring a lower cost model of their famous Leica Disto unit. The model 100 was limited in range purposely, so as not to distroy the upper end disto's sales base.

• 3 weeks later...