Large format (Toyo CX)

william_henderson

I have been offered a Toyo CX with a 210mm6.8 lens for 550.00. The camera

has never been used and comes with a LF carrying case. My question is

whether this is a great deal since these low end LF camera prices bounce all

over the lot. I have never used LF but have spent much time with MF and

35mm. Thanks for the advice.

I would recommend that you determine what you will use a large format camera for and then evaluate the price point. If you to work in a studio or do architecture out of your car, it may be the ticket. If you want to do landscape on the trail in the back country, you will probably want a a more compant camera and there are many to chose from. Nothing more important than having the right tool particularly when you are starting out. Just my two cents.

hi william -

the toyo cx is not a bad camera. while it is the low-end of the toyo

monorail cameras, it takes all the accessories that the other toyo

cameras will accept - bag bellows, roll film holders, focusing

loops &c. it takes the smaller ( 110 mm square) lensboards like

the field view cameras.

i had been using a graphic view II for about 12 years and

decided last year to sell it, and get a used toyo cx. i have been

using it on location and in a studio quite a lot, and have not had

any problems at all ( it's been about 1.5 years).

i have heard bad reports about the new entry level field camera (

toyo cf?), but not any bad press about the view camera. it

sounds like the price you were quoted was reasonable

considering the case and lens are probably worth $200-300.

good luck

john

See if you can get the price down $100 to $150 bucks. At 400-450 it's a great place to start and when you're ready to move up (if you ever need to) you'll easily get your $ back. I just bought that lens today on Ebay for $225. $100 is low for camera by itself but $225 is believeable. If there are additional accy's like film holders, dark cloth, meter, Polaroid back etc. etc. those are things that you may need that will drive the ultimate price back up. The fact that it has it's case and is virtually new is attractive. I'm sending you an ebay sale off-line as a comparator.

I will venture a guess on the 210 mm f6.8 lens: is it a Rodenstock Geronar? The guess is because this is one of the few lenses with that focal length / aperture and because it is frequently included in budget kits. The lens is described by Rodenstock as a budget lens: it is a triplet, meaning it uses three glass elements. A 3 element lens would be a disaster for 35 mm photography, but will work surprising well for LF because of the reduced enlargement of the negative to the print, assuming that you don't intend to make giant prints. However, the optical performance is unquestionably worse than the more typical plasmat design of 6 elements in 4 groups.

One of the best ways to answer these price questions is to use the completed auctions option of the advanced search on ebay.

According to B&H, the lens in the CX kit is a Geronar and list is like $1200 with the case. If you are in the studio I think it will be fine, for schlepping around it is not very compact. As others have said the lens is not the finest but it is more than acceptable. As for Aaron's comment, I for one haven't seen too many Toyo or Cambo cameras for $100 that are in any kind of reasonable condition.

Having devoted considerable time to watching Ebay I will say this:

- $200/300 is needed on an older Toyo/Omega or Cambo monorail in v. good to excellent shape, this could sometime include a case and a few film holders, always read the fine print because $100 can get you a mechanically OK camera but may have a broken ground glass (an easy $100+) or some cracked parts (none of this, "of course", affects picture taking ability), you can get a good one but just be a little carefull and count the extras (especially film holders, but also lens boards, polaroid holder, focusing loupe) as it affects the value of the deal immensly

- you can get a fine lens (especially Fuji's) in the $200's in excellent (glass spotless) shape

So it adds up to about same price. As it was pointed out earlier, if you can make it $400 or so, you got yourself a great deal, otherwise I would suggest considering other options.

William, I am assuming that you realize that the Toyo CX has polycarbonate (plastic) controls. I have heard of cases where the tripod blocks have cracked. The 210 lens is NOT a six element,top-of-the-line, lens. The price for the outfit seems high, even with the carrying case. Keep looking. Even if you need to pay a little more, you can do much better.