Large Format Kodachrome history question

tjaded

Hi all--

Just a little bit of history information wanted here. Roughly when was the last

time Kodak offered Kodachrome in 4x5 or larger? I have a box of 4x5, but it's

from the 1940's. Being a late bloomer to photography, this is something I

missed out on. Maybe I'll find some old large format Kodachrome images at a

grage sale someday...

Anyway, anyone here know much Kodachrome history?

Thanks!

Matt

When I worked in the photo distributing industry in the 80's, my old French boss had a bunch of Kodachrome 4x5's he took in the 40's and 50's in Europe. I marvelled that they looked like they were just shot. They were so colorful. I always wished I could buy it for LF.

Yeah, that's about the right date for them being replaced by E-1 Ektachrome films.

At least in the 1940's, all Kodachrome sheet-film processing was at Rochester. The other Kodak Kodachrome labs only did 35mm and/or movie film.

I have no idea if the sheet film Kodachrome line was automated or manual. It was made in a wide variety of sizes, which would make automation tricky.

As Rowland Mowrey has noted, you can even process 35mm Kodachrome on a sink line, and he's done it. Yes, temperature control and timing are critical. But you can "hold" the film between steps within reason, just keep it in a suitable holding bath. (A holding tank is part of the K-Lab equipment, in case the film breaks or power fails.) So most of the process could just be done in a rack full of sheet film hangers.

The trickiest part is the two separate re-exposures for reversal, one through each side, with calibrated time, color, and intensity. You can't leak any light to the other side. (At least in K-14, the third re-exposure is chemical.) Those would have to be done one hanger at a time. There probably was a separate room for each of the two re-exposures.