Landscape photography in April - where to go?

rachelle_m.

Hi everyone,

I have the last two weeks of April to do a bit of travelling here in Europe, but

I'm having a really tough time trying to choose where to go since this is the

first time in a while I can choose a destination primarily for my own

photographic interests. Now, I have many of those, but I am primarily

interested in doing some nature/landscape photography at this time, since it

seems reasonable to expect some nice weather (although I know rain is likely,

especially when I'm around), wildflowers, and few(er) tourists in key sites.

I'm hoping to do some walks/hikes every day that will coincide with my

photographic interests, however, I won't be doing any major scrambling or

climbing since I'll be on my own and my knees just can't handle descents like

they used to! Anyway, I've narrowed the list down the following, and I'm

interested in people's actual photographic experiences there to help me decide:

1. France (since I live here currently) - head down south for a week and do some

hikes and take lots of photos in the Gorges du Verdon, , Gorges du Tarn,

Rousillon, etc. areas. (I've already done many of the cities of Provence and

Languedoc). The second week possibly in Brittany, or in one of the locations

listed just below.

2. Ireland -- I was there last spring for a friend's wedding and have already

done the peninsulas of the SW coast (Dingle, Kerry, Beara, Sheep's Head, Mizen

Head). This time I'd like to rent a car and start in the Burren, and then work

my way up the coast through Connemara all the way up to Northern Ireland and the

Giant's causeway. I'd probably take a few days out for Derry and Belfast as well.

3. Scotland (and possibly England) - Never been to Scotland, but it seems like

the landscape photographer's mecca. I'm interested in the Isle of Skye (of

course)and some of the smaller islands, as well as heading up as far north up

the coast as I can. I know I could easily spend two weeks up here, but I also

like the idea of going down south and photographing bits of the Lake District as

well.

4. Slovenia - it's been on the list for a while, I'd probably spend a week in

the Bled/Bohinj/Soca valley areas with a day or two in Ljubljana (after my week

in southern France that is).

This is getting longer than I expected so I'll stop here. I know I could just

draw the name of a location out of a hat and probably be happy, but I'd like

people's opinions before I have to resort to doing that :-) Advantages,

disadvantages, and any other useful advice would be helpful.

Happy Boxing Day,

rachelle

Rachelle, It's tough to suggest places as you know what appeals to you, but I will say that

Scotland and the Isle of Skye are magnificent. If you stay on Skye check out Isle Ornsay and

Eilean Iarman (misspelled for sure) as a great place to stay. There are photo ops all over

the island and much else to see. Drink single malt? You won't find better than at Isle

Ornsay. Skye has its own distillery, Tallisker.

The drive to Skye is also wonderful. Remember to spend time in Edinburgh. The Royal

Mile, castle, and Holyrood House are great. You'll get lots of pics at both. Enjoy.

Alberto is right - pick the destination according to your photo style: early spring will have arrived in Southern Europe and Spain, Greece, Italy etc will be carpeted with flowers and fresh foliage. In the north it may not have arrived yet and you stand a good chance of stormy skies and lowering cloudscapes. Having said that, April 2007 was about the best month of the year in the UK, warm and sunny - unlike the summer... If time permits and you come to the UK then do consider the English Lake District and northern fells as well as the Scottish highlands. Wales is stunningly beautiful too.

Thanks everyone -- I know that this past April was terrific in many places across Europe(except southern Spain, where I was, which was cold, rainy or damp every day) -- when I went to Ireland in May the locals kept telling me that I should have come 'two weeks ago' because they had had such fabulous weather. I have been researching weather charts and the like but it's hard to know or predict if you don't live in those areas, especially with the effects of global warming coming into play and disrupting predictable seasonal patterns. I think I will stick to the more southern parts of Europe (France, Italy) this trip and try to head further north come May or June.

Cheers.

Corsica would be a great option at that time of the year. You'd miss most of the tourists, but the weather should be relatively co-operative.

Great walks, great landscape scenery, some lovely villages and great coastline. You'd not have to travel too far either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rachelle,

I write you from Huesca, up in the North of Spain, close to France. I am sorry you had as

bad luck as you had ib the southern Spain, since is one of the part in Europe whit less

rainy days per year.

Anyway, I would recommend you to visit the Pyrinees and other regions in the north, like

the Basq Country and Asturias (Picos de Europa). Nice places, very interesting trekking

opportunities and very nice people :-)

Enjoy your trip!

This thread is little old, but I thought I would contribute an answer. I would head to the south of France, to two places in particular.

One of my favorite photographic experiences occured while hiking and photographing along the rocky coastline just outside of Marseilles - les calanques, I think they call it (I remember taking a bus to Cassis to pick up the trail). Think of white, limestone cliffs plunging into the sea, with plenty of trails for hiking.

Secondly, I would try to head for the the Petits-Luberons region of Provence. Many small hilltop villages that date from midievil times and before, as well as some stunnning landscapes.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

The thread is old, but you said you where travelling in April, so I think it should be a timely response:

If you have the opportuniny you should visit the Pyrenees, especially the French side - there you will find landscapes of awesome beauty. In April the weather can be tricky but I think it is worth the 'risk'.

Slovenia is a beautiful country, still unspioled by mass-tourism.