Kodak Pony 135

<p>I have a basic Kodak Pony 135 (51mmm f4.5 lens and shutter speeds to 1/200 second.) It was in a box of cameras given to me by a church member. At first I thought it was nonfunctional, but then remembered that the collaspsible lens had to be locked into place. So over the weekend I shot a roll of Plus-X to see what the little Pony could do. Considering it was the budget model (from the early 1950's) I was pleasantly surprised. <br>

For my photos I stopped in a small town called Big Creek and photographed some old farm equipment that was on display.<br>

First, the camera.</p><div>00aN6x-465231884.jpg.78a47b7c46dba54cf25d6bcbf2d20574.jpg</div>

<p>The shutter speeds all seem accurate (based on exposure). Like the many folders around, the shutter had to be cocked separately from the film advance. The more expensive cameras automatically cocked the shutter when the film was advanced. During the 1950's cameras that could do this were referred to as "automatic".</p><div>00aN76-465235584.jpg.3d1e7659898ba99ea91f55119c42fc45.jpg</div>

<p>They're astonishingly good quality images, <strong>Mike</strong>. I was reading about this era of Kodak lens a while ago, and it seems that great efforts were made to provide optics that competed with the equivalent European offering. The Anaston was a triplet, a re-branding of the original Kodak Anastigmat design, and went on to join the Ektanon family. I've never handled a Kodak Pony, but I'll keep a watch for one, now.</p>

<p>There's a fine Flickriver gallery featuring the Pony here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.flickriver.com/photos/fortinbras/sets/72157594392903673/">http://www.flickriver.com/photos/fortinbras/sets/72157594392903673/</a></p>

<p>Wow! I had a Pony 828, as a kid; that was my transition from a Brownie Hawkeye to a Voightlander Vitessa L, as I moved up the photography food chain. The 828 might have preceded the 135; don't remember if they were both made at the same time. Haven't thought about these cameras in a very long time.</p>

<p>I saw some Pony 828 ads in a mid-50's photo magazine which is probably after the one I have was made. Likely they shared numerous components. Kodak touted the 828 as economical because the 828 roll film only gave 8 pictures per roll. You could get black & white, Kodachrome, and Kodacolor in 828 during the Pony 828's production. It was sometimes called bantam format. The availibilty of Kodachrome gave Kodak Chevron users a cheap way to get Kodachrome slides as Kodak offered an 828 adapter for the camera for a time. </p>

<p>Mike,</p>

<p>Interesting post and pictures. The top plate was probably the beginning of product placement like you see in the movies.</p>

<p>According to McKeown's the Pony 828 came out in 1949 and Kodak stopped production in 1959.</p>

<p>The Pony 135 was made from 1950-54. The Model B was made from 1953-55. The Model C was made from 1955-58. The Pony 135 had either a f/3.5 or a f/4.5 Anaston lens.</p>

<p>I will see if I can find some ads.</p>

<p>Mike - </p>

<p>I also have this camera, never used it...can you tell me if you have to have film loaded in order to cock or activate the shutter? Not sure if mine has an issue or not, was not able to do a dry run. Glad you posted, gives me an idea of what it does, thanks! Great shots!</p>