Kimunor 1:8 500mm

daveslenswork

I just purchased a Kimunor 500mm f1:8 lens for my Pentax K1000. I picked it up at a

photography store clearance sale for $15 used. (that said - I don't have high

expectations for this purchase) The store couldn't tell me anything about it. Has

anyone shot with this lens? How were the results? Any particular f stop range to stay

in? I'd like to use the lens to shoot birds at the beach and other nature photos.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave.

My experience with some of the old long (300mm and 500mm) lenses is actually not all that bad. You really have to use a solid tripod and a remote shutter release, but the contrast isn't bad (much better than say mirror lenses). My 300mm long lens lens actually used to return pretty sharp images; the 500mm f8, a friend's lens, I used unfortunately before I really knew what I was doing in photography. I'd say the photos 'weren't bad', but in retrospect with better support and better technique would have returned much better images. These lenses although long, are much less heavy than telephoto lenses and in that event can be more accomodating to hiking if you have the bag to carry them. At $15 you certainly haven't been riped off. Stick with ASA 400 films (obviously) use good technique and you might come back with a surprise or two.

• 4 weeks later...
I borrowed one from a friend... not that bad, just that it's a bit slow (f/8) It has a tripod collar built in and I agree that a cable release is a good idea. This one did not mount directly to Pentax K-mount, but instead has a groove that fits into a T-mount adapter and held by three small screws (the t-mount adapter has two piece design... threaded and by removing insert it uses the "groove" mount...I don't know the correct term for this) One thing that suprised my was that the lens is usefull at it's close-focus distance also. I don't know how well this tele is corrected for chromatic abberations (colors not focusing together) but overall it is suprising for a low-budget lens. I have also used the lens for shots of the moon and a partial solor eclipse. Another thing to be aware of: some of these lenses have two aperture rings, one sets the minimum aperture and the other is used to temporarily open the lens aperture all the way (to make it easier to focus... brighter image in viewfinder) You have to remember to "stop down" after focussing, just before you take the shot. Metering is also done by "stop down" method. It can be a real pain at first, until you get the routine down, so expect to spend some time practicing (if the lens has this design)

• 2 years later...
the best pictures of my kids I ever took while they were playing was with that lens with a t-mount adaptor on a minolta stsi with the shutter lock disabled. I have a toyo optics uv filter on the end. You need a tripod or something good to brace against to really keep it steady though, it was a nice sunny day.