Kiev 88CM better than Kiev 88?

FranzWeber

Reliability of the Kievs depends to some extent on where you buy it and whether you have a local repair person who can "finish" the assembly and fine-tuning of the camera. Otherwise, you may do well to buy from one of the outfits that have "CLR" the camera before selling it.

You should know about http://www.kievaholic.com/ if you don't already.

The Zeiss Jena lenses P6 really are quite nice. Some of them like the 180mm are frankly spectacular--at least mine is. Not only crisp on my Pentacon 6, but also even when mounted on my Canon EOS camera! This is a test that my Mir 45mm did not do so well on.

i have a salut from 1978. it's a great camera, within its capacity, after flocking and treating light leaks between back and body. the kievs i've examined seemed to have potential for light leaks between the back and body, just as my salut had. i live around the corner from the arsenal store in kiev and, compared to the salut, i wasn't terribly impressed with the improvements on the CM over the salut (granted, i have not tested the CM, just examined it in the showroom). however, i agree as others have mentioned that the critical difference between them is the lens mount. ukrainian glass is soft, but not unusable. but if you're buying german glass, why not consider a hassy body? if you'll be shooting slide film in sunlight, you may notice slight problems with the film plane shutter, as they tend to run at slightly different rates, and this can become apparent at fast shutter speeds.

"if you're buying german glass, why not consider a hassy body?"

Good point IMO IF money is no object. Otherwise, Zeiss Jena lenses are about 1/10th the price of Zeiss Oberkochen lenses for a Hasselblad. However, I would ask--if you want to use P-6 mount lenses, why not buy a Kiev 60 which is much more reliable than a Kiev 88? Even the relatively fragile Pentacon Six may be more reliable that a Kiev 88.

Hi Robert's,

I have a Kiev 60 (work's fine, out of the flashlight) and a Pentacon Six (is not reliable, must be repaired) in my "collection" and some Carl Zeiss Jena and russian lenses I use with the Mamiya 645 Pro TL. I will get a 88 CM in the next weeks. I think 6x6 is a very interesting format for portraits and architecture, but I don't really like those 2 "oversized 35mm cameras".

Yes Franz kiev 88 cm is better.I suggesst you to buy old type film back because my twoo new technology film backs leak the light from the side specially in direct sunlight.The OT backs are really light tight but must be checked well for the film transport mecanism.I bought everything By Arax.Pay attention to change shutter speed ALWAYS after advancing the film/cocking the shutter.All the best Riton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...