Is the 50 Lux that bad

chip l.

It's a fine lens, compact for it's speed. I had one, but sold it on the street to a stranger who had somekind of immediate need for my lens. I looked funny walking around with a camera and no lens, but for $1000, I beared the indignity.

People complain about the 'lux being an old design. Most lenses are derived from old formulas: Planer, Triplet, Sonnar, Distagon, Biogon, etc...

My Biogon 38 design is from at least the early 50's, and Hassy couldn't improve the performance with the 21th century design with the 905.

Chip,

The 50 lux is outstanding. I have one from the 60's, scalloped focusing ring, etc. It

is sharp, contrasty, super smooth in regards to color rendition, three dimensional

look, etc. If they do update it, it will only bring it closer to the look of the other ASPH

lenses, which look to my eyes, very digital, one dimensional, flat. Super crisp and

sharp, but not what the eye sees.

The 50 lux has a classic "leica" look.

all best,

Jeffrey

This is another lens that has received mixed reviews. Some people love it and others

hate it. This leads me to suspect that it may be subject to more sample variation than

is otherwise common. When Leica redesigned the mount in the nineties, they

dramatically improved the mounting of the lens elements. I have always wanted to

test out a newer version as it would be an excellent substitute for my Noctilux. F/1.4

is enough for me, the closer focus would be great and the Summilux weighs only 280

or so grams.

Don't get me wrong, I love and use my Nocti all the time. However if I could get

similar flare free performance at f/1.4, shed 400 grams and focus to .7m, I would sell

my Nocti right away. My main reason for loving the Nocti is its amazing resistance to

flare. Something, I have been told, that cannot be said about the Summilux nor, in my

experience, the Summicron.

The 50 Lux-M is one of the best 50/1.4 lenses of all time. Only the 50 Lux-R E60 and some say the Zeiss Contax MM are better. But for my main photography which involves as little bokeh as possible, lots of DOF, and even sharpness center to corner, the Summicron 11817 and current are better than the Lux, plus smaller, lighter and cheaper. I put my money into the 35 Lux-ASPH, which is sharp center to corner even wide open, high-contrast even wide open, has more DOF than a 50/1.4, and can be handheld one shutter speed slower.

I think we could write Erwin's rewiew of the 50/1.4 ASPH now; it will read something like this: "...very fine details are recorded at full aperture...only slightly softer at the edges...peak performance is reached by f2...blah, blah...from 2.8 the performance is indistinguishable from the old lens, which is a tribute to the excellence of that 40 year old design...blah, blah...the experienced photographer will have to improve his technique to exploit the potential of this lens, which defines a new paradigm for high speed 50mm lenses, blah, blah..."

Here's something I've found out in the short time I've had this lens: It excels at getting skin tones right when shooting color film. It 'tamed' the ruddiness and blotches I sometimes got when shooting Portra UC with the Summicron 50. Now, I get the snap and almost grainless look of UC, with the smooth skin tones of NPH. Sweet. This is a great people lens but, as Jay said, probably not the best choice for scenics.

It is a dandy people shooting lens.

We know by now that Leica is coming out with a new M lens in late Sept/early Oct, a few bets are on a updated 50/1.4 (street price is quoted as 2,200 euro for the new lens) but realistically it is probably a new tri-elmar of some sort.

Even if a new one comes out, i'd rather spend 900-1,000 on a ''latest' version old one and take advantage of the classicl look than pay $2,500 for a brand new asph one.

Leica has delighted M users in recent decades with releases of such remarkable performers as the 21/2.8 asph, 24/2.8 asph, 28/2 asph, 35 'lux and 'cron asph, 90/2 apo asph and 135/3.4 apo-telyt. By contrast, development of the 50/1.4 Summilux seems to have been overlooked for decades.

Furthermore, the 50 Summilux is sandwiched between two other lenses that share its focal length but have greater claim to fame, namely, the Noctilux with its remarkable light-gathering properties and the Summicron with its superb resolution. Added to which, as was pointed out by others, a new 50 'lux seems too expensive.

So, it's not surprising that the 50 'lux doesn't attract as many admirers as other M lenses. Those of us who have enjoyed and continue to enjoy using the 'lux know about its good points and we don't care about its reputation or lack thereof. Just don't expect to get corner-to-corner sharpness, especially at wide apertures.