Is my trusty friend slowly dying?

dallasmcvickerphotography

<p>Hello all,<br>

I have had my D40 for about 2 years now. I have run probably, 100K photos through it(oh how you progress with time). I am noticing now that there is significantly more noise in the photos I am taking now; to when I started. I also noticed that it is having swings in the metering as well. Lastly I am noticing a few burnt pixels in some of my pictures. Usually more noticeable with longer exposures.<br>

Could this be an indication that she is running on empty? No need to post pictures, I have already done all the comparisons, she is more noisy then when I first got her, and the other indicators are definitely happening.<br>

Just curious if I will soon have to explain why I need a D300! :)<br>

Thanks,<br>

D</p>

<p>While it could definitely be the 2 year electronic replacement cycle, if you've compared images shot in similar conditions with the ISO the same and an increase in noise and dead pixels - it could be time for servicing or a new body.</p>

<p>Sensors do have a limited life span - at a certain point the sensor will become less sensitive to light (thus the increase in Noise) Shutters have a limited life span too. </p>

<p>And - 100k is a lot for a D40 which I believe is a consumer build - rated at about 50K</p>

<p>Of course your spouse can always use a variation of the arguement on you that mine used on me this past weekend... (after we spent $1,700 on new tires and brakes for my Ford Explorer) - She said - we should have bought a Toyota - they don't need new tires or brakes after 65,000 miles.... so maybe if you'd bought a Canon... Aw...never mind...</p>

<p>Dave<br>

(for the record - a loyal Nikon user)</p>

<p>Is there a long exposure noise reduction for the D40? If there, is turn it on, may help. That said, I actually think my D200 is working better now than ever... been shooting at hi-1 and am very pleased with the results, maybe I'm getting less picky about technical issues...</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>Yes there is a Noise reduction option it is on and has been for a long while. I was really wondering if these were infact telling signs that she is on life support. Thanks for the thoughts.<br>

David you should tell your wife.... Camrys need new tires and breaks too. My wife and I just put new tires on her 2008 last week, and last reg maintaince they replaced all the breaks.(There was a tech alert on the breaks so they just replaced them, score!)<br>

Although the money she probably saves in gas and other maintance cost can not be over looked. :) I also drive a toyota product. 2009 Scion TC. So if I am hearing your right I need a D50? :)<br>

D</p>

<p>This does not sound like regular aging of a camera. Perhaps yours has developed some problem, only a servicing can tell you that, but my 10 year old D1 still takes photos as well as it ever did. Maybe you have become more discerning over the past 2 years, the wow factor has worn off and you are ready for a more modern machine.</p>